Staffing Table/s - Line Management (1 Viewer)

Amoff

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:00
Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to assist or point me in the right direction.

I have setup a table for all employees with a primary key, name and other relevant information

The second table I have set up is for employee line management.

This table currently consist off a
Primary key
Line manager (Linked back to the employees table)
Subordinate/s (Linked back to the employees table)

This process has been working on the forms I have and allows navigation through the organisational structure well.

However now I am unsure on the process of collecting all the data for reporting down the track

How would I write a query that would show information linked to the employee table where there was multiple levels of line management ?
I am wondering if I should be using a different table structure ? as I cannot see how to achieve this.

State ManagerStore Manager 1Employee 1
Employee 2
Employee 3
Store Manager 2Employee 4
Employee 5
Employee 6Apprentice 1
Apprentice 2

So what I am hoping to achieve is when

Selecting State Manager, would bring back all details as above
Selecting store manager 1 would bring information on Store Manager 1, employee 1 & ,2 & 3
Selecting store manager 2 would bring information on Store Manager 3, employee 4 & 5 & 6 and Apprentice 1 & 2

I do hope I have explained myself clearly and that I haven't posted a duplicate question

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards

Adam

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 13:00
If interested I can help.
If it only ever gets down to three levels, you can show this is a query pretty easily. You still store this in a Hierarchical structure, but you can make the query by bringing the same table in 3 times.
Staff.jpg

Last edited:

Amoff

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:00
Thank you, MajP.

After having a read of what you have provide it is already making a lot more sense.

I will have a play with what you have given me and see how I go.

Thanks again for the prompt reply

Regards

Adam

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:00
Bit late to the party here, and @MajP is the hierarchy king here, but if every EmpId has a Manager ID I don't see the need for the Subordinate field, as you can always work out the subordinates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom