Storing Credit Card details (1 Viewer)

ChislePip

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:15
I need to be able to capture credit card details over the phone and store securely in an Access database. The requirement is to then create an extract file containing credit card details, amount and to be sent to a bank. If the same customer calls again weeks later, there is a need to be able to re-use the same credit card. Any suggestions for how best to do this? Can it be done within Access only or do I need to consider some external service to which I should interface?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:15
Others may disagree but I would NOT do this in Access unless I was using a backend with some serious security. So, yes I would look into some external service. I would them log in to some website that handles these types of transactions. You do not want to be responsible should their information get stolen.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:15
Gina beat me to it. Access is made for a small office environment where domain-level security might not be available. In a stand-alone or small network situation, Access is very visible and not that difficult to "crack" - so I would not want fiduciary or financial or health-related data sitting on an Access-style back end. An active database server (ORACLE, SQL SERVER, MY SQL, SYBASE, ...) usually has better security and can be used with an Access front-end.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:15
There is no need for you to store any info or get any service from anywhere, get the name of the user anr immediately surrender the card to the bank.
Is
If same customer call, tell her/him the card is in the bank.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There are very strict rules about storing credit card details.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:15
I seem to recall that if you have the ability to take credit card payments you are not allowed to store credit card details, that is one of the terms of service / conditions. If you break that condition, you could lose the ability to take credit card payments.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:15
@Uncle Gizmo I believe that is correct.
The only place you need them is when you are processing the sale, and that should only be done "live" with the cardholder on the end of the phone.

(In a past life, we had trade customers who didn't care and told us to just take payment using the details we had "remembered" as soon as the job was done, rather than trying to contact them.)

ChislePip

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you all for your responses. That has been very helpful. I will look to move the backend to SQL Server and investigate the options for utilising a 3rd party service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom