strange error preventing my databases from opening (1 Viewer)

Zedster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:08
I have been developing databases for my company for some time now. All have a default "splashscreen" form that opens up when the database is opened by a user. In the background VBA runs on the "on open" event of the form to validate who the user is via their windows username. All my databases are distributed as compiled accde files and users open them with Ms Access Runtime. They have been running fine over the years with anything from 20 to 50 users opening them each week.

In recent weeks a number of users have been receiving the following error message as soon as the database opens "The expression On Open you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Requested type library or wizard is not a VBA project". All users experiencing this error have been opening and using the database fine prior to it occurring. Once it occurs they are unable to open the database again, even if I send them a fresh accde file.

I am at a loss to understand what is happening, the database has not changed.

Any help appreciated.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Are you using 365?
A few bugs associated with that recently. Plus Windows Updates.
Look to see when each was last updated. Rollback if very recent on one computer and test if it works again.

Plus if you took the trouble to Google that message, look at what the first link has?

This link from Daniel is probably more relevant?

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The bug was caused by a Windows update and affects all click to run Access versions from 2013 onwards
A fix isn't yet available but I suspect will be released soon

See the official MS page related to this bug:

For now, the solution is to rollback the relevant Windows update or re-create the ACCDE file in the same versions of Access that your users are running

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Apparently, there is now a fix for this for 2013 versions.

What is confusing is that we have a client on O365 with this issue, who are running a legacy mde (Version unknown, and we don't have any access to the original mdb), and I'm not sure how to mend it.

Does anyone have any clues? Can we just apply the new 2013 patch and hope it mends it?
I don't want to get stuck into a remote support session if it's not going to work.

They are using 2206 15330.20266 - which in theory shouldn't have the issue.

Zedster

Registered User.
Local time
For info MS issued an update to office around 19th July 2022 that fixes the bug in the version released on 12th July 2022. We found however just updating office alone did not prevent this error occurring, it was also necessary to uninstall Access Runtime and re-install it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:08
If Access is already installed on all your user's computers, have you considered simply starting your app in runtime mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom