Question Stripping out unnecessary Access functions? (1 Viewer)

jimtimber

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:48
Hi there,

Our Access database is getting a bit sluggish when loading/running reports. My mate said to me that the Access database that our 100+ users at work use to run reports should be "stripped back" to speed things up and to stop unnecessary actions running when they aren't needed. He pointed me in the direction of File>Options. Users don't edit data from this database, just to run preset reports. They have no editing capabilities either.

Can anyone give me any tips as to what I can change in the backstage please? Our users do not use the developer side of things, they just get a few forms with buttons to reports to run. I've took print screens of the current set up.

Attachments

• General.png
    General.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 92
  • CurrentDB.png
    CurrentDB.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Client1.png
    Client1.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Client2.png
    Client2.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Client3.png
    Client3.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 76

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 23:48
You may get some better hints or at least some hints if you described the configuration.

How many users Max at one time.
How far away are these users. Like small building or very large building where you can get lost.
Is the Internet slow.
Has the Database been compiled.
How big is the database.
Is the Database split.
Has the Data been compacted and repaired of late.
If split where is the front end stored.

Plus anything else you may consider to be an issue.

Your screen dumps showed little. Except the first one. Default Location needs fixing.

jimtimber

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:48
Thanks RainLover,

- Max users at any time - up to 140 users in total, would say max at one time could be 50.
- Users are all over the UK in 16 offices. Users also work from home.
- Internet varies from office to office. Most offices have up to 8mb download speed with a relatively decent upload speed.
- Not sure how to answer compiled part as I've taken over an ex-employees work. All users have a .mdb file in their user folder. They do not have access to the design side of access, just the forms with report buttons (this is classed as split?). Let me know how to check this please.
- Split side is kept on a company server specifically for this database.However, database largely draws data from a 3rd parties SQL based system.
- Database is compacted and repaired every time changes are made (usually weekly).
- Database is approx. 80mb.

Thanks,

J

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 23:48
Jim
Max users at any time - up to 140 users in total, would say max at one time could be 50.
This is a lot and maybe too much

Users are all over the UK in 16 offices. Users also work from home.
Access is not designed to work over the internet. I would like to see the details but for now this must be applying too much load on the DB. One would normally use SQL Server

Internet varies from office to office. Most offices have up to 8mb download speed with a relatively decent upload speed.
Too much but should at least work if not too many are using the net for other things.

- Not sure how to answer compiled part as I've taken over an ex-employees work. All users have a .mdb file in their user folder. They do not have access to the design side of access, just the forms with report buttons (this is classed as split?). Let me know how to check this please.

A split DataBase has the Forms on the front end. This is where the user enters data and calls reports,

The back end should be on the one place on a server.
Every user has a copy of their Front end which is a file that only has the Forms Reports etc. A front end is a file with .mde after it instead of mdb. A mde file has been compiled. Code cannot be altered.

Finally if you can prove that the environment is causing the problem then it requires an upgrade.

You could do this by running a copy as a test for say 5 users then look at the results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom