Solved Sum on report not acting the way it should. (1 Viewer)

EarlyGrey

Local time
Today, 13:54
Hi everyone! I do apologise in advance if this is a really basic problem/ I've done something wrong. 😅 I'm an Access newbie and only really ventured into building my first proper database last year.

I'm trying to build my first financial report, and I'm having troubles with the sum expressions that I've tied to a couple of textboxes.

Screenshot (7).png

As you can see, I have the Amount per block tied to the 'payment type'. This correctly lists how much each booking is for.

I have added the textbox 'Running Sum' (the one that's listing £216, £432 and £648), using the expression
Code:
=Sum([Amountperblock])
, expecting it to list £0 under Direct debit, and £72, £144 and £216 under 12 Weeks:Core Skills. I'm really confused as to how it's actually getting it's data, since it's entirely wrong! I have the 'Running Sum' property set to 'Over Group', which I think is correct. Both the text box and the field in the table it draws its data from are set to currency,

The textbox displaying #Error, should be displaying a sum from the overall report (total). Its control source expression is also
Code:
=Sum([Amountperblock])
, so I'm confused why it's returning an error. 😓 If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it greatly! I can also supply further information/ screenshots if required.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:54
If you're using running sum you just want the field name, not the Sum() of the field name.

For the error, make sure you're not in the page footer. It should work in a group or report footer.

EarlyGrey

Local time
Today, 13:54
If you're using running sum you just want the field name, not the Sum() of the field name.

For the error, make sure you're not in the page footer. It should work in a group or report footer.
Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I won't admit how long I've been sitting with this problem. 😂

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:54
Happy to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom