SUMPRODUCT unequal tables: SUMIF, INDEX, MATCH, LOOKUP ? (1 Viewer)

lemo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:43
Hello all, it's been a while since I visited, hope everybody is healthy and in good spirits.

I have two tables, Orders and Prices, see below, I'd like to calculate totals for each row in Orders, by multiplying quantity by price, then summing them.
Currently I do it by creating another table with the help of INDEX and MATCH functions, then SUMPRODUCTing this table with Orders tables.
I'd like to eliminate the extra step of creating a table and write a single formula to do the calculations, but don't seem to have enough brainpower to do it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Excel 2010
OrdersProd1Prod2Prod4Prod10Total Cost
Cust110205???
Cust25555???
PricesProd1Prod2Prod3Prod4Prod5Prod6Prod7Prod8Prod9Prod10
Cust1$2.00$2.00$3.00$4.00$2.25$3.00$2.25
Cust2$1.75$2.00$2.50$4.00$2.00$3.00$2.25

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:43
I could try to explain how to INDEX MATCH MATCH , but this does a much more eloquent job than I ever could;
A possible solution

Or stolen from the same page
SUMPRODUCT(vlookup_column_range = vlookup_value) * (hlookup_row_range = hlookup_value), data_array)

lemo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:43
Thanks Minty.

Interesting, but I think the ablebits solution applies to single table situations. Once you try to marry two tables of different dimensions, SUMPRODUCT becomes rather unfriendly.

Having said that, I nailed the formula.
For posterity, if you paste the table above into A1, the formula for Total Cost, in F2, will be -

=SUMPRODUCT($B2:$E2, SUMIF($B$5:$K$5,$B$1:$E$1, INDEX($B$6:$K$7,MATCH($A2,$A$6:$A$7,0),) ) )

Took me a while, because I didn't think of using SUMIF to reduce the dimension of the larger table to match smaller one.. Note that it's the second form of INDEX function, Reference.
Was surprised not to be able to find solution online, seems like it's a fairly common task, finding a total cost of customer's order for a subset of all available products (given that product costs vary by customer).

I'll edit the title to include other keywords.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:43
Thanks for the update, I'm guessing (with my Access head on) the whole thing would be easier if the table layout was more vertical, rather than a pivot style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom