Supply Chain Problems - How Bad is This Going to Get? You can hardly buy anything for a reasonable price (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:24
From your title and the lead-line of the article, actually big Labor IS a part of the solution for supply chain issues. Trucker's unions and longshoremen's unions need to bring people back to work and get them off their tailbones collecting unemployment. According to every learned talking head I've seen, the problem in a nutshell is the distribution system that currently is experiencing blockages at oceanic ports of entry. Once the goods that are backed up at the ports can get on the trucks, supply issues ease up considerably.

NOTE: That is a MECHANICAL assessment. If the problem is that truckers and longshoremen need more money because their wages are out of phase with the rest of the country, that is an employer's problem.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 10:24
there has been no change in prices of the things I buy at wal mart, but i'm not xmas shopping yet.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:24
there has been no change in prices of the things I buy at wal mart, but i'm not xmas shopping yet.

I can sell my car which I bought 2 years ago and have been using ever since, for more money than I currently owe on it.

Be glad the things you're buying aren't that car :)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes. Well it's kind of like my house. The money they say it's worth currently is insanely more than it is worth, by a long shot. So yeah I could sell it now and go sit on the beach for a few years. But then what would I do? I'd have to turn around and I'd still need a home in the same insane market. The real benefit is if I moved to Kansas or something. But I have not been able to convince my wife to do that.

But it's kind of fun to have equity on paper, regardless of how useless it is.

I am trying to find the narrow exceptions to that dilemma though. Like I'm signing up to buy a Ford Maverick which is guaranteed to come to me at the stated price, regardless of what the rest of the market is doing. Now in that particular situation I might end up with a good bargain all things considered. (Especially with the maverick, because due to limited availability, I could probably turn around and sell it and make a profit. But instead I'm going to love my little pickup.)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:24
Once again, we have the government creating a "crises", then advocating that the government is needed to implement the "solution". An added twist in this story is that Biden is explicitly blaming private enterprise for the problem. Biden has even gone as far as proclaiming those who don't take the Covid vaccine as unpatriotic (traitors). Biden, who (falsely) claims to be a leader, is quick to blame others for problems and quick to proclaim self-congratulatory "success" where there is none. For example, Psaki with arrogance asserted that Biden's economic policies were working because the unemployment rate fell. She neglected to mention that the unemployment rate fell because many people left the workforce. That is fabricated "success".
But Biden is not blameless. He and the Democrat-controlled Congress have helped cause an outsized surge in demand by unnecessarily pumping too much money into an already-hot economy. They have also contributed to a shortage of workers that is plaguing every aspect of the supply chain. By rolling out benefits like extended unemployment pay, rent subsidies and increased food stamps, all offered with no work requirements, Biden and Democrats in Congress reduced the pressure to get back on the job.

In addition, the president’s vaccine mandate has caused truckers and other workers key to the movement of goods, already in short supply, to leave their jobs at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
From your title and the lead-line of the article, actually big Labor IS a part of the solution for supply chain issues. Trucker's unions and longshoremen's unions need to bring people back to work and get them off their tailbones collecting unemployment. According to every learned talking head I've seen, the problem in a nutshell is the distribution system that currently is experiencing blockages at oceanic ports of entry. Once the goods that are backed up at the ports can get on the trucks, supply issues ease up considerably.

NOTE: That is a MECHANICAL assessment. If the problem is that truckers and longshoremen need more money because their wages are out of phase with the rest of the country, that is an employer's problem.

The reality is we need 80,000 truckers to just get back to where we were. We are hyper-focused on the ports right now but if you are truly honest every sector is affected, every place you go you are dealing with the "C team" not even the "B team".

While you sit there complacent wondering when your next stimulus check will arrive caravans of people eager for your jobs are coming or have already come, they will be trained very shortly for your old job, and guess what they will vote for more of the same. Wake up!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can sell my car which I bought 2 years ago and have been using ever since, for more money than I currently owe on it.

This made me look into mine. According to KBB the private party value on my 2017 is more than I paid for it brand new (though I did negotiate a really good price). Crazy! Not that I'd sell, I love my little car, but cool to know its worth. Of course, like your house, I'd probably take it on the chin on new car.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The non-technical jobs like union truck drivers and construction, as far technical jobs that's all ready going to the Indian visa holders that are sponsored by big tech.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The non-technical jobs like union truck drivers and construction, as far technical jobs that's all ready going to the Indian visa holders that are sponsored by big tech.
That's one thing that really chaps me. This preference for India, it's gotten a bit ridiculous. There are many trained people in Mexico who can write the same SQL queries the Indians can. Go visit Plano, TX, or Frisco, TX. 99.3456% Indian. It's insane. I don't like it that we're treating our neighbor worse than we are some country across the world. There's a principle I try to live by. It's pretty simple. Be nice to your neighbor. Treat them better than you do the average joe.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
There are more than a few groups that benefit from H-1B1 visa's Chile, Singapore, and India but I have to assume Pakistan might be a contender also. Some of these jobs are in the IT profession where the employer supposedly can not find suitable workers, of course, this is a workaround for not paying higher wages to US workers.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:24
Mulvaney does not explain the underlying reasons for why there is supply chain crisis, which is unfortunate. He does present an excellent approach to solving the issue. This is in stark contrast to the current approach by the Biden administration which is to do essentially nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom