Suppressing multiple rows based on a field value in one row (1 Viewer)

Mikelambnj

Local time
Today, 10:08
I have a table that contains the fields “order number” and “qty”. There are multiple rows for each order number. How can I suppress all rows for an order number where quantity is 0 on one of the rows? Example: order # 123 has 4 rows. One row has a qty of 1, the second row has a qty of 2, the third row has a qty of 0, and the fourth row has a qty of 0. Since rows 3 and 4 have a qty of 0 I want to suppress all 4 rows in the query result.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:08
Where are you trying to filter them?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:08
modify the Query and add a Criteria below the "qty" field while in Query design:

Field: qty
Table: the_table_name

Criteria: > 0

Mikelambnj

Local time
Won’t that just remove the rows with 0 And leave the rows where qty is greater than 0? If anyone of the qtys is 0 I need all the rows for that order number to be removed.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:08
Create a distinct query where qty is zero, you only need the order number.
Then create your query selecting all those not in the zero query. ?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:08
you need to write a special function that will check in advance all the details of each invoice number if it contains at least a zero quantity.
you then plug this "special function" to your query to "filter" those invoices.
there would be two variation of this function. one that utilizes a Collection object, which is a little bit faster, but requires to reset the Collection everytime the query is run. You call the "reset" using a form.
the other variation is without the Collection object but will be very slow.

Mikelambnj

Local time
Create a distinct query where qty is zero, you only need the order number.
Then create your query selecting all those not in the zero query. ?
That is a great idea!! i will try that. Thanks so much!

Mikelambnj

Local time
you need to write a special function that will check in advance all the details of each invoice number if it contains at least a zero quantity.
you then plug this "special function" to your query to "filter" those invoices.
there would be two variation of this function. one that utilizes a Collection object, which is a little bit faster, but requires to reset the Collection everytime the query is run. You call the "reset" using a form.
the other variation is without the Collection object but will be very slow.
Thanks for your help! I’m setting this up for someone who is not Access savvy, so I think I will just have him run 2 queries: 1 a query that creates a table of distinct order numbers that have at least one zero qty, then a second query that gives the information needed, but removes the order numbers from the table created by the first query.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:08
Could do this with a sub-query.

Code:
SELECT ONZ.ORDERNUM, ONZ.QTY, other data FROM ORDERTABLE ONZ
WHERE ONZ.ORDERNUM NOT IN (SELECT OT.ORDERNUM FROM ORDERTABLE OT WHERE OT.QTY = 0 ) ;

Using ONZ and OT as "spot aliases" to keep the two sets of references to the same table from getting confused.

Mikelambnj

Local time
Could do this with a sub-query.

Code:
SELECT ONZ.ORDERNUM, ONZ.QTY, other data FROM ORDERTABLE ONZ
WHERE ONZ.ORDERNUM NOT IN (SELECT OT.ORDERNUM FROM ORDERTABLE OT WHERE OT.QTY = 0 ) ;

Using ONZ and OT as "spot aliases" to keep the two sets of references to the same table from getting confused.
Thanks! I’ll try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom