Solved Syntax Error in Query Expression (1 Viewer)

dccjr3927

Local time
Today, 10:35
I have a query

Code:
strGetDailyRecsSQL = "SELECT LarqOrder, LarqSerial, Date_Time INTO tempExport FROM LarqData WHERE Date_Time >= #" & Format(dteLastExport, "mm-dd-yyyy") & "#;"

but am getting Syntax error in date in expression 'Date_Time >= #'.

I am sure I am just over looking something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:35
I don't see anything wrong with that SQL. Why use Format()?

See if enclosing Date_Time in [ ] makes a difference.

Suggest the table be permanent and instead of SELECT INTO, use INSERT INTO SELECT. DELETE records first at beginning of procedure.

smtazulislam

Local time
Today, 20:35
Can you check it
Code:
strGetDailyRecsSQL = "SELECT LarqOrder, LarqSerial, Date_Time INTO tempExport FROM LarqData WHERE Date_Time >= #" & Format(dteLastExport, "mm-dd-yyyy" OR dd-mm-yyyy) & "#; "
:

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 18:35
In SQL statements, dates need to be in mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy-mm-dd format.
Try changing your code to
Code:
strGetDailyRecsSQL = "SELECT LarqOrder, LarqSerial, Date_Time INTO tempExport FROM LarqData WHERE Date_Time >= #" & Format(dteLastExport, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#;"

Suggest you rename the Date_Time field

dccjr3927

Local time
Something like this?
Code:
strGetDailyRecsSQL = "INSERT INTO tempExport (LarqOrder, LarqSerial) SELECT LarqOrder, LarqSerial FROM LarqData WHERE [Date_Time] >= #" & dteLastExport & "#;"

Not really sure on the syntax for this, and a quick Google search yielded examples that were...less than clear.

I am still getting the same syntax error on the expression '[Date_Time] >= #'.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Something like this?
Code:
strGetDailyRecsSQL = "INSERT INTO tempExport (LarqOrder, LarqSerial) SELECT LarqOrder, LarqSerial FROM LarqData WHERE [Date_Time] >= #" & dteLastExport & "#;"

Not really sure on the syntax for this, and a quick Google search yielded examples that were...less than clear.

I am still getting the same syntax error on the expression '[Date_Time] >= #'.
Did you see IslaDog's post?

dccjr3927

Local time
Yes. Date_Time is used probably 30-40 other times in this database. I cannot see where the field name would cause a syntax error. Likewise, all of the dates in this database are formatted mm-dd-yyyy. Neither has ever caused any issues. I discovered that in order to use the TransferText function, it has to reference an object, and not just an SQL statement. Hence why I changed to June7's recommended INSERT INTO SELECT code.

No matter whose code I use, it still renders the same syntax error.

dccjr3927

Local time
Here is the database. This copy only has the module with the code and the two test tables tables.

Attachments

• Clean db.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 232

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:35
The error is because there is nothing in dteLastExport. You have misunderstood this throughout the code module.
VBA variables are not included in the query scope.

Use a DMax or read the first record of a recordset based on the query. You must explicitly get that value to the variable.

Code:
dteLastExport = DMax("LastExport", "ExpTracking" )

Also note that Execute does not work on Select queries at all.

dccjr3927

Local time
Thank you Galaxiom. That did the trick.

June7 - Apologies for the linked tables. I did forget to convert them.

The good news is Problem Solved. Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom