Question System Resource (1 Viewer)

Arthurdent1949

Local time
Today, 18:52
I keep getting a pop up warning saying 'System Resource Exceeded' when closing &/or compacting a database.

Is it possible to increase the system resource allocated for the DB ?

If so how do I do it?
:banghead:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes.
Do a forum search for MaxLocksPerFile and MaxBufferSize.
You can increase one or both but make small changes and test the effects

You may also be close to the maximum number of connections (255).
Do a search for that as well or test using this utility Available Connections

Good luck

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:52
Arthurdent1949, there is another question. Normally, Access doesn't have this problem. We HAVE seen it before, but it isn't so common as to be an everyday occurrence. Usually when this occurs, you are doing something else before you do the CLOSE or C&R operation that triggers the problem.

Now the answer you didn't want to hear... technically, no, you cannot increase the system resources. They are not permanently allocated to you or your process. They are part of a pool of resources that you can draw from, and you have as many as the system has (unless you are on a server and are sharing with other users). On a single-user system, you have everything there is. So no, you cannot increase the resources. That's the bad news. The good news is that technically, that error doesn't always mean "system resources" in the literal sense of what you see when you do a web search for definitions of system resources. It can also mean that something failed when you tried to allocate something that indirectly involves system resources - like file handles, for example.

Windows allows you to do some sneaky things with buffering and lock management, as suggested by Colin. Do the searches he has suggested, as the most common causes of the problem involve sloppiness involving file management.

Without knowing more about what that DB actually does, it would be hard for us to give more closely targeted advice.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
ArthurDent
You may be pleased to know I've now got the theme tune to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the brain!

“Arthur Dent: What happens if I press this button?
Ford Prefect: I wouldn't-
Arthur Dent: Oh.
Ford Prefect: What happened?
Arthur Dent: A sign lit up, saying 'Please do not press this button again.”

“You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Anyway, re-reading your post, its very unusual to get that System Resource exceeded message on closing or compacting your database. The most likely cause is probably available connections

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The part that confuses me, actually, is that Arthurdent says it happens on a CLOSE as well as on a C&R. I can see it on a C&R because you COULD trigger that from an open DB. Access would have to open at least one more file because the C&R will make a copy of everything to another file so you need not less than one more file handle - but maybe two since a folder action is also implied.

I am at a loss for the error showing up on a CLOSE unless there is something going on behind an OnClose event somewhere.

And you should never forget your towel.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
And you should never forget your towel.

With regard to toiletries, a flannel is more important than a towel. You can manage without a towel, but you gotta have a flannel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
ArthurDent
Just wondering whether you are beginning to regret your choice of user name...:rolleyes:

Arthurdent1949

Local time
ArthurDent
You may be pleased to know I've now got the theme tune to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the brain!

Oh Dear, I seem to have started al whole 'Click Hum, Click Hum, Click, Click, Click Hum' sequence.

Let's hope it turns out to be Mostly Harmless'

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I still want the P.O.V. gun - which is non-lethal but guarantees you win every argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom