Table design (linked vs unlinked) (1 Viewer)

nhorton79

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:06
I am in the process of designing a database with a form for entering jobs like the attached image (Page1).

I am wondering what the best way to create the tab and subform for Items (which will be linked to my Job table (tblJob).

I have tblItem which will hold info for each item as it is added - field examples being: ItemName, ItemDescription, ItemActive etc

I would like to add Labour (Page1) and Materials (Page2) to each Item, which come from a tblInputs.

These can be added individually using Add Material or Add Labour drop-down boxes. Or, in the case of Labour I would like a certain few blank records to load automatically. I have added a checkbox to tblInput called InputAutoLoad, which when this is checked the input will show automatically – this will only happen with Labour inputs (where InputType=”Labour”, or the foreign key from the tblInputType.InputTypeID).

What I really don’t want to happen is that when these actually link to the actual record for the input. I would like them to be ‘added’

Do I need to put in a tblItemInputs which holds the added Inputs and associates them with the ItemID? Thus the tblInputs is really just a template of an input?
A many-to-many relationship?

I also would like all the null quantities of Labour to not actually store against the item causing unnecessary bloat, if at all possible.

I hope that I have been relatively clear with what I am trying to achieve.
I have uploaded a schema of where my database sits at present, rather basic at present but intending to add a lot more to it as I go. I just need to get my head around the concept of how to add these Inputs to an Item.

Attachments

• Page1.png
    Page1.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Page2.png
    Page2.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 89
  • schema.jpg
    schema.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 94

nhorton79

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:06
Okay. I have figured it out myself. What I needed here was a many to many relationship. :banghead:

I have created a new table called tblItemInput and included foreign key fields from tblItem and tblInput. Then I included an ItemInputTotal and ItemInputQty field.

This has allowed me to connect the two without altering the original record in tblInput. Phew.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:06
Thanks for posting your solution and welcome to the site!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom