Solved Table quandary, need help! (1 Viewer)

slharman1

Local time
Today, 06:40
I will try to simplify this.
I have a product table that will transfer to a quote table. I need the quote table to “copy” some fields from the product table; product model #, description and price. I need to be able to change the price on the quote table via form to anything I want and then if I want to update the product, I need to have the quote form re-copy (or update) the product product price and model # if I click an edit product button on the quote table but not update the price unless I actually update the product model # via button. To make things even more difficult, I need to use the same quote detail line description and price to type in what ever I want even if there is not a product associated with it. Any ideas as to how to go about this. I am sure it will involve writing some procedures and creating functions just trying to wrap my head around needing to be able to update the lines based on model # if I edit the model from the quote. I do not want the quote price to change if I change the model later. So it won’t be a relationship with the product.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Any ideas as to how to go about this

The first step and most important step in building a database is setting up your tables correctly. That is done without regard for anything downstream (e.g. forms, reports, etc.). The data itself dictates your table structure.

If you don't know what normalization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization) is, you should check that link, work through a few tutorials and then apply what you learned to your data. Then, you should complete the Relationship Tool in Access, expand all the tables to show their fields adn then post a screenshot of it back here so we can make sure its properly set up.

slharman1

Local time
The first step and most important step in building a database is setting up your tables correctly. That is done without regard for anything downstream (e.g. forms, reports, etc.). The data itself dictates your table structure.

If you don't know what normalization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization) is, you should check that link, work through a few tutorials and then apply what you learned to your data. Then, you should complete the Relationship Tool in Access, expand all the tables to show their fields adn then post a screenshot of it back here so we can make sure its properly set up.
Thanks again Plog! I will do that. Might take me a while but I’ll get it done.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:40
Have you abandoned this thread?

I posted an example showing three ways to get data into one table from another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom