Television Mind Control (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:48
A few years ago, the wife and I were deeply engrossed in a series called Breaking Bad. About mid-way through the 3rd season, I looked over at her and said, "You DO realize dear, that this show has us cheering on a drug-dealer?!?"

Now, years later, Netflix has managed to have us a actually feeling sorry for the Royal Family...

Strange how easily the mind is manipulated

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
And looking at Archie, Jughead, Betty , and Veronica in a whole new light.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I have not watched that series, but my daughter has. She was telling me about "this new show" and was amazed I knew the characters' names.

Nothing new under the sun...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:48
this show has us cheering on a drug-dealer?!?"

It's because any of us could follow that path if we allowed ourselves to stray..... I have fantasies about getting even with certain people who have crossed me through the years. When I find myself planning to go to the hardware store to get items to help me fulfil them, that worries me...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
What's your hardware shopping list in your fantasy planning?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Probably KY jelly

I'm a bit concerned that your hardware store stocks KY Jelly, unless of course it stocks banjos and demijohns for smuggling liquor.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Mind you, I reckon zeds store would have had KY Jelly...

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Wal Mart

And I'm not from the deep South either.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
We don't. That's why Wal Mart doesn't have banjos and demijohns up here. We don't have many Wal Martians either!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
We don't have many Wal Martians either!

A new chap joined up on AWF a while back from Canada. Him and his wife go round what we call garage sales in people's homes, where they are selling mostly junk. He posted a few videos on AWF showing how much money he was making at it. I think he mentioned that if you want to run a garage sale in Canada you have to get a licence/permit or something.. is that true? I mean we don't have anything like that in the UK you just stick an advert in the paper and sell your stuff!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Apparently it is if you want to worry about staying on the right side of municipal by-laws. So it is not a country or even province-wide regulation; it is local. I imagine some resort towns might be picky about your clutter offending tourists or those who have expensive vacation properties and the like. In most cases and places, if you keep your stuff away from public property (e.g. sidewalks), don't go over 2 days, sell only household goods and limit your events to 2 per year, you won't have any problems unless (maybe) you have a nasty neighbour with a grudge. You could always spend the $2 or so if you want to avoid the risk of a fine. Municipalities who have such a by-law are trying to prevent anyone from creating an eyesore in the community every weekend. I imagine it's like anything else that's minor in that no bylaw officer will bother you even if they happen to be driving by, but any time there's a complaint, the relevant authority would be obliged to respond. In that case you are likely to get a $100 or so fine.

To illustrate the disparity, Caledonia Ontario has had an annual event for years where the whole town goes yard/garage sale crazy, no one gets a permit and pretty much anything goes. However, I would be surprised if you could get away with it in Niagara On The Lake. They're so anal that they tried to prevent a McDonalds franchise in their town.

I've done a few yard sales in my lifetime with no issues and have never applied for a permit.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
they tried to prevent a McDonalds franchise in their town.

I know France fought off McDonald's for a long time, and indeed other country's, I'm sure. Is that the same in Canada, in that it is the French influence?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Fighting off McDonald's is not a national thing here and has nothing to do with French Canadians. In the case of NOTL, it is because it is a tourist town and I understand that particular case. It's a very quaint town that's very easy on the eyes. They claim to have the oldest golf course in Canada that hasn't been modified; it was once the capital city (town) of Canada, and homes there are old and very expensive. The entire area is wine country with at least 20 wineries just within the town area alone. The likes of McDonald's with tall golden arches and a brick and glass corporate style store just doesn't fit. I imagine if I had the money to live there, I would have voted against it too. In the end the height of the arches was limited and the site is on the town border where it probably belongs.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A few years ago, the wife and I were deeply engrossed in a series called Breaking Bad. About mid-way through the 3rd season, I looked over at her and said, "You DO realize dear, that this show has us cheering on a drug-dealer?!?"

Now, years later, Netflix has managed to have us a actually feeling sorry for the Royal Family...

Strange how easily the mind is manipulated
One has to be very wary of being swayed by carefully constructed viewpoints that don't present an honest holistic view. My pet peeves along this regard have been in terms of copyright, encryption, and patents. For example, having a group of pundits assembled around a table proclaiming that government must have a "backdoor" to break encryption to save us from terrorists and other bad guys. They seldom mention, if ever, that once a "backdoor" is imposed, encryption will become meaningless, in a general context. Missing is the fact that third parties will then begin to develop and distribute "unauthorized" encryption that will be unbreakable. Furthermore, there have been a lot of people, like Snowden and Manning, who for whatever reason, leak secrets. So once any government encryption keys are released, the "backdoor", once again becomes useless.

On a lighter note, I wonder how many people actually fall for the spiel and buy the products advertised in the "wait, order now and we will send you a second ..." commercials? Most of these commercial are over the top, but still it is "Strange how easily the mind is manipulated."

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I have not watched that series, but my daughter has. She was telling me about "this new show" and was amazed I knew the characters' names.

Nothing new under the sun...
Desperate for something to watch, I watched the first episode. It started out with Archie banging Ms. Grundy (the teacher) in the back of a VW Bug. I was hooked from that point on.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:48
Don't know about the Canadian resistance to McDonald's, but some years ago, before the year 2000, my wife and I played tourist through Quebec and Ontario. While driving in towards Montreal at night, we ran across a PFK ad and wondered what that was. It appeared to be food related but we couldn't be sure. Then when we got closer, we realized at least one USA food institution had made it... it was Poulet Frite de Kentucky - and the famous Colonel Sanders log smiled back at us. Kentucky Fried Chicken had found a northern home.

As to "garage sales" we have a local permit requirement because of the potential for blocking traffic. But it is only applicable to urban and well-developed suburban areas. Totally rural areas? No problem, usually because they have enough off-road parking that traffic won't be bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom