Text alignment issues between computers (1 Viewer)

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Today, 11:50
I have a report that was created on my computer. When this report is opened on other computers (2 that I've tried) the text alignment is way off.

Originally I thought it had to do with printer margins dictating something but that is not the case as the margins remain identical on all computers. It's not a font issue because it's Arial which all computers have. The text is written inside a "label".

Can anyone explain why this is happening and how to fix it? Using Access 2000

Thanks

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 18:50
Try Courier, just to see if there is a diff between computers. Are they all attached to the same printer? if not, get a PDF writer (eg Foxit) output your stuff to PDF and see if there is a diff.

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
With Courier, the text alignment was the same on both computers, so something is happening with the Arial font.

When I changed my default printer to PDF creator, suddenly the text was misaligned like on the other computers, so I guess I need to design the report using the PDF creator as default printer to get it to print correctly....hopefully...

Thanks

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
I guess that method didn't work out so well. There is still a lot of inconsistency in going between PDF's and actual printers even when the preview looks right.

Any idea why this is happening with Arial? One solution would be to use Courier but I don't particularly care for the look of the font. Seems to be only an Access report/label issue as putting the same text into a Word file with the same font has identical alignment on other computers/printers.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:50
you say 'The text is written inside a "label".'

So far as I am aware you cannot mix bold/not bold etc in a label, it is all or none. This suggests you are not talking about one label but 3 which overlap.

Can you be more specific.

Also, haven't used 2000 for years but does it not have a memo field where you can mix bold etc?

Finally, one computer to another - do they each have identical screen resolutions? If not this may be the explanation

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Correct, you cannot mix bold and normal text within a label. I believe Access 2007 and later has the memo which you can use for that.

To mix bold and normal, yes I am using more than one label and I guess you could refer to them as overlapping.

The computers do not necessarily have the same screen resolution but would that make a difference when printing? I can't help but believe it has to do with the printer driver because when I make PDF creating software my default printer the text in the labels aligns differently than when my actual printer is set as default.

Attached is a sample Access 2000 database with a single report. The top section has the labels aligned so they come out right in preview mode while the 2nd section has them aligned properly in design mode however when previewed the bold faced labels are not aligned with the paragraph as they are in design mode.

Other attachment is a screen shot of how that report looked when previewed on my computer. I would have to assume it would be different on others.

Attachments

• db1.mdb
    112 KB · Views: 62
  • text sample.jpg
    text sample.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom