textbox filter records in continuous form (1 Viewer)

eugzl

Local time
Today, 16:09
Hi All.
I created continuous form and trying create filter textbox. Online I found code exactly that I expecting to create.
Code:
Private Sub txtNameFilter_KeyUp(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
On Error GoTo errHandler
Dim filterText As String

'Apply or update filter based on user input.
If Len(txtNameFilter.Text) > 0 Then
   filterText = txtNameFilter.Text
   Me.Form.Filter = "[Contacts]![first_name] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Contacts]![last_name] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*'"
   Me.FilterOn = True
  'Retain filter text in search box after refresh.
   txtNameFilter.Text = filterText
   txtNameFilter.SelStart = Len(txtNameFilter.Text)
Else
   ' Remove filter.
   Me.Filter = ""
   Me.FilterOn = False
   txtNameFilter.SetFocus
End If

Exit Sub

errHandler:
MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Error ..."
End Sub
But unfortunately it doesn't work. If it possible to fix the bug. Can someone show how it to do? Or may exist other similar idea. I will appreciate for help.
Thanks

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:09
what does 'it doesn't work' mean? nothing happens? wrong result? you get an error? in which case what is the error? and what line of code is highlighted?

best guess is

Me.Form.Filter

should be

Me.Filter

eugzl

Local time
Hi CJ_London. Thanks for reply.
It is my first Access project. I also saw online like Me.Filter but code that posted from this site:
https://www.comeausoftware.com/2019/01/create-dynamic-search-filter-microsoft-access/
I modified the code for my data:
Code:
Private Sub txtSearch_KeyUp(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
    On Error GoTo errHandler

Dim filterText As String

If Len(txtSearch.Text) > 0 Then
       filterText = txtSearch.Text
       Me.Form.Filter = "[Form2]![Date] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
                        & "OR [Form2]![TicketNo] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Form2]![Device] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
                        & "OR [Form2]![Model] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*'"

Me.FilterOn = True
       txtSearch.Text = filterText
       txtSearch.SelStart = Len(txtSearch.Text)
    Else
       ' Remove filter.
       Me.Filter = ""
       Me.FilterOn = False
       txtSearch.SetFocus
    End If

Exit Sub

errHandler:
End Sub
When I entered just first character in txtSearch TextBox as a result I'm getting message:
Enter parameter value ?
Form2!Date

when I click OK
Enter parameter value ?
Form2!EmployeeName

when I click OK
and so on
After all the result is a blank form.

When I click Cancel I'm getting message:
3709 The search key was not found in any record.

I will appreciate you show how to fix it.
Thanks

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
so what is form2? you are querying the underlying table so you need to use the names of the fields in that table. Note that Date is a reserved word (it is a function that returns todays date) and should not be used as a field or control name - rename to something more meaningful such as 'startDate', whatever date means.

Also dates are numbers, not as you see them formatted. For example today is 44583 and now is 44583.9615972222. The value after the decimal point is the time expressed as number of seconds so far today divided by 86400 - the number of seconds in a day

So don't expect it to return anything with a character in the search string - 'Jan' will not return January and '21' will not return any date with the 21st. But it will return 4, 5, 8 or 3 because they are in 44583.

eugzl

Local time
I modified the code:
Code:
Private Sub txtSearch_Change()

On Error GoTo errHandler

Dim filterText As String

filterText = [Forms]![Form2]![txtSearch].[Text]
        If InStr(Format(filterText, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#"), "#") > 0 Then
             Me.Form.Filter = "[Forms]![Form2]![RequestDate] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
                              & "OR [Forms]![Form2]![TicketNo] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![Device] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
                              & "OR [Forms]![Form2]![Model] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![Location] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*'"
        Else
            Me.Form.Filter = "[Forms]![Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
                             & "OR [Forms]![Form2]![TicketNo] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![Device] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
                             & "OR [Forms]![Form2]![Model] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![Location] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*'"
        End If

Me.FilterOn = True
    Else
       ' Remove filter.
       Me.Filter = ""
       Me.FilterOn = False
       txtSearch.SetFocus
    End If

Exit Sub

errHandler:
End Sub
Now when I'm entering some characters I don't get any messages. But form didn't filter also.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm getting confused. in your first post your code was

Me.Form.Filter = "[Contacts]![first_name] LIKE

then it changed to
Me.Form.Filter = "[Form2]![Date] LIKE

and then it changed to

Me.Form.Filter = "[Forms]![Form2]![RequestDate] LIKE

Your first post looks correct in principle but 'it doesn't work', your subsequent posts imply you are thrashing around

Implication is what you posted in your first post is not what you are actually using. If what you are actually using is in the second post then [Form2]![Date] is wrong - it should be the name of the field in your forms recordsource, not the name of the control and you do not reference the form.

If the field is called Date you just need [Date], not Form2!date and not forms!form2!date. You might need to include the name of the table if your recordsource contains two fields called 'Date' from two different tables

you've also added another line

if this code in is form2 then all you need us
filterText = [txtSearch].[Text]

Or is your txtSearch control now on a different form to form2?

Take the date reference out for now, it is not right and just just confusing things, get the principle right for text fields and go from there

eugzl

Local time
I'm getting confused. in your first post your code was

then it changed to

and then it changed to

Your first post looks correct in principle but 'it doesn't work', your subsequent posts imply you are thrashing around

Implication is what you posted in your first post is not what you are actually using. If what you are actually using is in the second post then [Form2]![Date] is wrong - it should be the name of the field in your forms recordsource, not the name of the control and you do not reference the form.

If the field is called Date you just need [Date], not Form2!date and not forms!form2!date. You might need to include the name of the table if your recordsource contains two fields called 'Date' from two different tables

you've also added another line

if this code in is form2 then all you need us
filterText = [txtSearch].[Text]

Or is your txtSearch control now on a different form to form2?

Take the date reference out for now, it is not right and just just confusing things, get the principle right for text fields and go from there
OK I changed like you suggested
Code:
Private Sub txtSearch_Change()

On Error GoTo errHandler

Dim filterText As String

filterText =txtSearch.Text
        If InStr(Format(filterText, "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#"), "#") > 0 Then
             Me.Form.Filter = "[Forms]![Form2]![RequestDate] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
        Else
            Me.Form.Filter = "[Forms]![Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*" & filterText & "*' " _
        End If

Me.FilterOn = True
    Else
       ' Remove filter.
       Me.Filter = ""
       Me.FilterOn = False
       txtSearch.SetFocus
    End If

Exit Sub

errHandler:
End Sub

The continuous form - Form2.
The RecordSource fields - RequestDate, EmployeeName, TicketNo, Device, Model, Location
The search textbox - txtSearch
When I specify criteria in the query, for instance, for EmployeeName and setup criteria Like "*we*" and run query I got record where EmployeeName field has such characters.
When I enter to txtSearch field value= we and then check in the Property Sheet under Data tag Filter value it show me like this:
[Forms]![Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*we*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![TicketNo] LIKE '*we*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![Device] LIKE '*we*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![Model] LIKE '*we*' OR [Forms]![Form2]![Location] LIKE '*we*'
But code execution return blank form.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So you have changed it yet again

I said put it back to this

Me.Form.Filter = "[Contacts]![first_name] LIKE '*" & ......

you have responded with

[Forms]![Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*we*' OR.......

As previously advised remove '[Forms]![Form2]!'

Last edited:

eugzl

Local time
So you have changed it yet again

I said put it back to this

Me.Form.Filter = "[Contacts]![first_name] LIKE '*" & ......

you have responded with

[Forms]![Form2]![EmployeeName] LIKE '*we*' OR.......

As previously advised remove '[Forms]![Form2]!'
Hi CJ_London. Thanks for continue help.
I substitute RowSource query and also made changes like you suggested. Now a filter is working. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom