The Covid cure has arrived! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:02
The Pfizer Covid vaccine prevents 90% of people from getting infected and the UK is getting 10 million doses (for 5 million people) before Christmas! They are claiming "back to normal" by spring!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm pretty sure it's drug companies that have developed the potential vaccine(and who will reap the rewards) - not any government?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
According to the news "Pfizer and BioNTech plan to apply to the US Food and Drug Administration - the US medicines regulator - by the end of this month for emergency approval to use the vaccine."

So I'm guessing that it's down to them?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I re-joined the Watercooler purely to read the contents of this thread

It is excellent news that a 90% reliable vaccine now exists. Hopefully it can be made available to all who need it very rapidly.

However, the purpose of a vaccine is to prevent people getting a disease.
I'm surprised that nobody has already mentioned it but It is NOT a cure for those who already have Covid.

@SteveR
You seem to be obsessed with finding ways of distorting every news item in terms of bashing Biden / Democrats
The vaccine is good news. Don't immediately distort it into a political point

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:02
@SteveR
You seem to be obsessed with finding ways of distorting every news item in terms of bashing Biden / Democrats
The vaccine is good news. Don't immediately distort it into a political point
No distortion. Biden claimed that that Trump was doing "nothing" to fight the virus. That Trump had "surrendered".

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Its a cure for the Covid pandemic. I am very happy indeed.

Dreamweaver

Local time
As a person who probably wouldn't survive if I got it it's good news as to the politics your missing the point that being how many lives will be saved not who deserves the credit.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:02
While Pfizer made news today (or yesterday), Moderna is even ahead of them. We have multiple options, all coming of age at once. It is truly a bunch of good news. (but we knew that before - bet the Dem's will now finally begin reporting on it!)

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 17:02
Its a cure for the Covid pandemic. I am very happy indeed.
pfizer has always been highly competent. i've considered investing in the company many times, as it seems very stable. they are also not huge.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:02
Long way to go yet. This vaccine is an mRNA type meaning the molecule is very fragile. Consequently it must be stored at about minus 80 degrees until right before it is administered. Going to be quite a challenge to distribute it.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Long way to go yet. This vaccine is an mRNA type meaning the molecule is very fragile. Consequently it must be stored at about minus 80 degrees until right before it is administered. Going to be quite a challenge to distribute it.
I heard this on the radio this morning.
Apparently, in the UK most doctors surgeries don't have a -80 storage fridge, so I'm guessing this will be an issue.
Not sure about smaller hospitals etc.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There are other companies following a similar rna strategy to Pfizer and so it is likely they will work too. Multiple solutions on the way. Maybe I can eventually ditch the mask and actually communicate properly again. Life back to normal.

When I see a movie with a crowd of people together without masks, I get this uneasy feeling of, "That's not right! They shouldn't be allowed!" It kinda seems wrong!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
My favorite part of this thread so far is the virtue signaling on post #6. I'm climbing down into the sewer for just a wee moment so I can bloody your nose a bit. Then I shall climb out of said sewer and be most virtuous once again. Tadaa!

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
On a related note. Scientists think they have a clue on why some otherwise healthy men can die from the virus (no other health issues). It seems that their bodies are not producing antigens that would be the first line of defense from a virus. Why this happens, they do not know yet.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
<sigh>
OK, it is the Watercooler. Your post was not disrespectful, Adam, so no bans (from me, at least) are in the immediate future. But I can tell you that your sermonizing doesn't help your cause.

From the New International Version, 1 Corinthians 13:1-7 (edited to emphasize certain parts)

13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

As it happens, Adam, I am NOT unfamiliar with what is in the Bible. The KJV does not significantly differ from the NIV in this section, just a little bit less flowery. If you are going to barrage us with quotes and claim your love for all, then let us talk about love. In the past you have shown us all sorts of posts about how great you are, then talk about love. I think St. Paul might have differed with you on your tactics. Look at yourself honestly and evaluate your approach to this board. I think this passage makes it clear, especially in the highlighted sections, that despite your protestations to the contrary, you have not been showing us a lot of love here.

Two can play the Biblical passage game, Adam. You keep on admonishing corporations - and us - to give what they own to the poor. But that isn't how you show love. You keep on presenting exhibits of how smart you are. But that isn't about love. You write comments that dishonor others. But that is surely not love.

I guess you triggered me into taking an alternative tactic. I'm trying to reach you, to show you that your approach in the past has not demonstrated the intent you claimed. You like to refer to the Bible? Well, I can do that too. There is the admonition from St. Paul. You won't listen to me. Will you listen to him?

neuroman9999

Local time
a few things in response to you Richard.....

The KJV does not significantly differ from the NIV in this section, just a little bit less flowery.

always read the closest translation to the original language and script. anything else can cause unintentional errors. just like a VCR tape use you to record movies over and over again. It wears down after a while.

If you are going to barrage us with quotes

I've NEVER done that. how many times have I quoted a religious icon? 5? 6? that's not a barrage.

and claim your love for all

I've never done that either. Ever heard this line before?

I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

In the past you have shown us all sorts of posts about how great you are

no I didn't. I've hinted at what I have, and have even told some of you guys things about yourself that were probably true even though you didn't respond to me. Does that make me great? Does my tech skill and code writing ability make me great? NOPE. Not in the slightest. You're off base here.

I think St. Paul might have differed with you on your tactics.

he differed with a lot of people. Peter being his primary nemesis. Christ's words were so philosophical, and most of them came from heavenly knowledge, that not even Paul got it right all the time. And he seemed to be an incredibly intelligent man. Not like Peter obviously, who was a complete moron.

Look at yourself honestly and evaluate your approach to this board.

the approach has changed many times. sometimes as a test to see what I could get out of you. very few tests worked. a few results were surprising and caught me off guard.

despite your protestations to the contrary, you have not been showing us a lot of love here.

what would you like to see? me accepting of your ways here? if so, what ways? your politically-correct attitudes? your way of teaching others the access program? your level of knowledge and showing respect for it (regardless of what mine is)? not putting down others when their opinions differ from my own?

You keep on admonishing corporations - and us - to give what they own to the poor.

I NEVER said that at all. I've hinted at the fact that corporations are a serious problem because they've destroyed literally everything in big cities, although inadvertently, sometimes. and now there's nothing left. and it seems as though the game IS changing. I think most of them now, even though they have to feed people like you, who are on fixed income, they are doing every damn thing they can now to figure out how to use the money to help everybody survive. but then again, some of that comes out of guilt. some of it for other reasons.

You keep on presenting exhibits of how smart you are. But that isn't about love. You write comments that dishonor others. But that is surely not love.

partly true. but then again, read my quote from above. Advocating the truth that Christ knew, spoke about and preached isn't always about ""love love love"" all the time. And to tell you some of the shit coming in the future, it would be no surprise to me that there will be a man appear, in whatever arena or facet of life, that will seem to have the ability to ""love everyone, regardless of who they are"". Sorry, that's not possible. That causes a seriously dead soul. No human being can possibly do that. Humans are not that powerful. If Jesus couldn't do it, no one can. Jesus didn't go around the middle east everyday of his life saying: oh, I love you. I understand you. Everything will be fine. No, I don't think so. He turned tables. He got pissed off, although rarely. He said things to others for the purpose of making them realize they weren't really that smart in the hopes that they would realize what he was saying had truth in it. etc, etc, etc....

I'm trying to reach you

and it has worked, for the most part. thanks. :)

There is the admonition from St. Paul. You won't listen to me. Will you listen to him?

I do, all the time. But then again, I act like the king himself more than the apostles. But, my ways could change some, yes. and more than likely as I get older (in the near future), they will. I should really take a proactive approach and make the change now....primarily because I've got people in my parish waiting for me to take the lead on various things....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom