Today, 00:23
My site has 4 ways of banning people IP | HostName | EMail | Username

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:23
What are the rules that you refer to :unsure:
Sorry, I am referring to the forum rules (as I learn them).

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry, I am referring to the forum rules (as I learn them).
Do those rules prevent you from banning someone then, when it becomes clear that they have been banned/suspended before. I only ask because Jon has made it very clear that he has delegated the decisions on banning/suspensions to the site moderators. Are you saying that Jon's rules do not permit you to take such actions :unsure:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Now it is threads like "Is the US in a Civil War" and "Mugging of Elderly", for the sole purpose of click bait to cause controversy and get traffic up. We have moderators now carrying on for pages in arguments with other posters and it is encouraged. Should I rename this thread to, "Is AWF on the brink of Civil War?" So instead of banning this person we are subject to moderators getting in a pissing match with them. I am guessing we are not banning this person because it "brings in traffic". It just seems unprofessional in my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more. the water cooler has always been a shit hole and I have keep out of it for nigh on 20-years.

Take Colin Essex for instance, he's been stirring it up in the water cooler for as long as I can remember, always taking the piss out of the American members. I'm surprised that any of them stay here!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:23
@bob fitz - that discussion (regarding the permanence of a "lifetime" ban) is actively underway in the Moderator's private area. I have sought some clarification and some consensus among the moderators. I'm ready and willing to pull the plug but hesitate to do so until I know that there are no moderators who disagree with me on that action.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am happy to do what members here want. Just tell me which members. :unsure:

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
@bob fitz - that discussion (regarding the permanence of a "lifetime" ban) is actively underway in the Moderator's private area. I have sought some clarification and some consensus among the moderators. I'm ready and willing to pull the plug but hesitate to do so until I know that there are no moderators who disagree with me on that action.
Well that could be good news :) but at the moment I'm even more interested to see what the response from theDBguy will be to the question I asked in post #24

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It goes further. If you look at my IP address right now, it's my employer's. If you banned it, you'd be banning everybody at that company. In my case I'm the only one that would be using the forum, but that may not be the case at other companies.
Very true. I've accessed many a technical forum while working at a campus work site where 3-5000 people from a major bank worked....Including plenty of folks that I would hope exhibit the same typical engagement with the worldwide development community, or even more than I did. All probably from the same IP. But possibly some digging could be done to examine the potential impact of banning a particular IP...About that, I am not knowledgeable.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Do those rules prevent you from banning someone then, when it becomes clear that they have been banned/suspended before. I only ask because Jon has made it very clear that he has delegated the decisions on banning/suspensions to the site moderators. Are you saying that Jon's rules do not permit you to take such actions :unsure:
Hi Bob. No, I am not saying "Jon's rules do not permit" me to ban anyone. Mind you, I am a neophyte moderator, so there's still a few things (mod tasks) I am hesitant to perform (until I get comfortable with them). Besides, I am only one of many, so if I fail to do something, there are others who can/will do it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
but at the moment I'm even more interested to see what the response from theDBguy will be to the question I asked in post #24
Hi Bob. I am probably the wrong person to use as a "gage" on how this forum should function. I am just here to help users of Access with their issues. Cheers!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Take Colin Essex for instance, he's been stirring it up in the water cooler for as long as I can remember, always taking the piss out of the American members. I'm surprised that any of them stay here!
U.G., Please say that again! YNK comes across as completely ridiculous to the point where I think his impact is actually more limited than C.E.'s. I would argue the latter's is more severe and impactful than the former's. Just one man's humble opinion.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Its ok guys. I am providing you with the ability soon to ban anyone based on your individual preferences. You cannot get better than that! More power to the people! This is granular level control. Its called, "Click the Ignore button".

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
In case anyone wonders, I view this place as predominantly about Microsoft Access. If anyone wants to chat in the other areas, it is entirely up to them. Freedom of choice.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
at the moment I'm even more interested to see what the response from theDBguy will be to the question I asked in post #24

That exact discussion is underway in the moderator's area. I am reluctant to say more in this thread, which is open to examination. But your question is NOT being ignored.

MickJav

Local time
I'm not going to go into how my site and this one is coded in relation to banning members as I didn't code it, but we all design database how would you code it given the information we have from posts as to duplicate IP.s and my post from Post #21 which I would think this site uses as a base?

neuroman9999

Local time
Now it is threads like "Is the US in a Civil War" and "Mugging of Elderly", for the sole purpose of click bait to cause controversy and get traffic up.
are you sure you're right about the reasons why those threads have appeared, Maj? Maybe some folks around here just like to talk politics and/or are concerned about the safety of their children or the next generation?

Certainly I could not be responsible for that content appearing, could I!? I didn't start those threads.

NauticalGent

CopyPaster of the First Order
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
Most of us have thick skin...but in some sort of sick way, CE just has this flair about him that makes his nonsense entertaining. The other nit-wit in question is just a child begging for attention. Whatever username he logs in with should be nuked to the highest level of nuketivity as soon has his identity is known.

NauticalGent

CopyPaster of the First Order
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
As a follow-on to this - and this is only my opinion - a lot of what CE says has some UGLY truth to it. Some of us just don't want to hear a limey say it! Kinda like that "no one kicks my dog but me!" mentality.

Truth be told, I don't think he has said anything about the US that I have not already said, I just say it better because I am more cool than he is...:cool:

neuroman9999

Local time
are you the copy and paster of the first order in the star wars trilogy? I don't get that. By the way, have you ever visited the vatican?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom