• ** There has been a recent site upgrade. Please clear your browser cache to avoid issues. **
  • New forum feature - post voting and best solution

Check out this thread for the details: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-forum-feature-post-voting-and-best-answer.314134/

This new feature looks great to me! :)

• We now have 3 forum themes

Go for the default (light) theme, Shades of Grey or Shades of Blue. I just added the Blue one.

The thread about it is here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-forum-theme-shades-of-blue.314136/

The Death of AWF? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator, Former MVP, Retired SysAdmin
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:25
could the Moderators just delete anything that has even a hint of politics.

First, we are human and politics is a part of humanity. Has been for thousands of years. We won't get rid of it.

Second, if you don't like it, ignore it. Don't go there. Nobody is holding you down. This is not like Woody Allen's Sleeper where punishment includes strapping you down in front of an old black and white TV and forcing you to watch old Howard Cosell interviews.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:25
My gripe was you could not see the wood for the trees. :D

Now you can ignore various forums, and those posts do not clutter up the What's New or New posts page. (y)

Never has been a case of having to visit a certain forum. :unsure:, not sure where that logic came from?

Anyway now we get the best of both worlds.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There is a forum called Utter Access that might have more of the flavour you prefer. Mostly just about Access.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes @Gasman, due to a wonderful new plugin, everybody can now have their cake and eat it!

AccessBlaster

Custom title here:
Local time
Today, 07:25
This is not like Woody Allen's Sleeper where punishment includes strapping you down in front of an old black and white TV and forcing you to watch old Howard Cosell interviews.
or

1599323401828.png

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
There is a forum called Utter Access that might have more of the flavour you prefer. Mostly just about Access.

🙃 🙃 🙃

When I first started looking for a new forum after woody's Lounge closed, Utter Access was one that I tried. I just didn't like it there, they had a very "stuffed shirt" approach. I think you will find it's much more relaxed here, although I can't speak for Utter Access these days, they may now be friendly, forgiving and accommodating, although I have heard recent stories that they're not!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I would love to know the stories!! :D

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I didn't know AccessBlaster's reference to Woody Allen, so I looked it up and found this interview with Muhammad Ali...

Muhammad Ali vs Cosell Interview | Thrilla In Manila Highlights

Watching the video rekindled my sense of admiration for Muhammad Ali, the same admiration I've always had for him, refreshed in this fantastic interview.

Then I thought yes! I've got it! I am not a racist. If I was a racist I would think all sorts of bad thoughts about this wonderful person Muhammad Ali.

I have just proved to myself that I'm not racist. The black (and white) people I don't like, the ones that are always pontificating about how the blacks are abused and run down by white people, now I do hate them. The interview gave me proof that I'm not racist, it proved to me that these other people, they're just trying to stir up the shit... They are the hateful ones...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
When I was in college in the 70's, one of my college friends from London area (Crawley I think), had a friend come down to Southampton for the weekend.
My first thought when we were introduced was, 'He's black' :)

We did not get many black people in Swansea then, or if we did, I had never met them.

By the time he went back on Sunday, I'd forgotten he was black. Tidy guy as well.:)

Then next weekend, we went up to Crawley, and the next day we went around to his house. His mother opened the door and my first thought was, 'She's black!' :unsure:

Of course she would be, you dumbass, but by that time, as I said, I'd forgotten he was black.

When I worked for Honeywell Bull in Hammersmith in the 80s, my landlord and his family were from Grenada. You would be hard pushed to find anyone darker than them. :)

So when Lewis Hamilton starts preaching, I turn off now. :(

Last edited:

isladogs

CID VIP
Local time
Well there were the problems Isadog had, and at the time a few others mentioned poor experiences there.

As I've been mentioned, I'll say that under a new owner, the ethos at the UA forum is totally different these days and much the better as a result.
The main difference to here is that UA is almost entirely technical in nature (as indeed is AF.net).
Although there is a watercooler section, it is almost unused.

AccessBlaster

Custom title here:
Local time
Today, 07:25
Some of the members who complain loudly about the watercooler actually are lurking in the watercooler.
If you hover on their names it's very funny.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Since we are on the topic of the decline of AWF, here are some numbers.

AWF: We have lost 19.2K Alexa rank in the last 90 days.

1599330211371.png

UA: They have lost 129K Alexa rank in the last 90 days.

1599330268761.png

AF.net: They have lost 267K Alexa rank in the last 90 days.

1599397037491.png

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I gave the member concerned a little holiday for a few days. But you probably didn't notice with the new features. :LOL:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
So when Lewis Hamilton starts preaching, I turn off now.
I never liked Lewis Hamilton. He keeps going on about save the planet and the environment, while flying by private jet, cruising in his fuel guzzling speedboat and participating in the most fuel hungry sport there is! "Do as I say, not as I do!"

MickJav

It wasn't me
Local time
I won't be betting it's somebody different

isladogs

CID VIP
Local time
I gave the member concerned a little holiday for a few days. But you probably didn't notice with the new features. :LOL:
I thought you were leaving those decisions to the mods....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom