The Evolution of the Global Economy (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 09:40
Good Evening Folks,

Well now, after 20 years of contemplating the Global Economy and arguing with liberals, conservatives and libertarians, I have finally digested my thoughts down to a very simple prediction of the next evolutionary plateau in the Global Economy.

What I think is the most important goal of every industrialized nation; is to become energy independent.

That means a sustained, persistent, and abundant supply. It doesn’t matter if it is renewable or finite, as long as the supply is very long term. Certainly as we move forward, more and more of the supply should be renewable. With one notable exception, Fusion, Fusion is not exactly renewable, but the fuel source here on Earth will last for billions of years. Anyway disregard for a moment the method we will need to use, let’s just say that Energy Independence is the goal.

Once the major Nations are all off the international fuel markets it will free currencies to float. Many people erroneously believe that money should be “backed’ by a commodity, this is one of the worst things that can happen. In most of the world in the last several hundred years it was gold (actually throughout history various items of value have been used) and as of the last part of the twentieth century to the present; it is Oil.

It tends to make exchange rates fixed to currencies that have more commerce with the oil producing nations. If Oil ceases to be the global commodity, it will lose its anchoring affect on the major currencies.
In reality currency is an IOU; if I produce a service for you, you give me this IOU, I can then use it to acquire services from others. So obviously attaching it to a commodity fixes the price. Very bad, as you will see.

How does this help?

Once currencies are a pure marker of the desirability of the producing nation’s products, all currencies in the world will fluctuate according to the creativity and efficiency of the components of the world market.
So as a nation imports more than it exports its currency will fall until it balances with the rest of the world. The same will apply to countries that don’t import enough, their currency will automatically rise. Now if they produce the very finest products, than the system will support a higher value to that currency.

For a start, this will have an effect of minimizing labor rate disparities; it will also keep nations from perpetuating large government deficits which lead to out of balance debt. This will happen because in the absence of reserve currency (based on oil) countries that accumulate too much debt will need to create more currency, which will devalue their currency. This will reduce the return on bonds bought on the international market.

In conclusion, I see the nations of the world becoming obsessed with energy independence.

Remember Energy is the key to everything, and by proxy, currency exchange.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:40
I think you make good points.

Sadly, the "common man" doesn't appreciate the global economy because the common man isn't educated well enough to think at that level. They can't see that the reason their jobs are vanishing is because in a truly global economy, they must either produce a LOT better product/service, or they must lower their rates to match their foreign competition.

The current malaise in the USA economy is, in my mind, just another side effect of the open market. Your energy independence issue also plays a part here. It is sad to say that economically, we will never reach energy independence until the cost of energy gets so high that the profit motive makes it worth someone's while to research that new technology that takes us one more step down the road to energy independence.

I will ask you to think about this aspect of your thesis, though...

In the third-world countries that are also energy producers, doesn't it seem that some other factor is the driving force besides energy production and energy dependence? I think you can't reach energy independence until you have a sufficient technology base in your country to make that independence significant. That speaks towards other factors such as education, technology, and consumerism driving the need for such independence.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 14:40
Thales I've been thinking on this topic for a while as well. As well as oil I think the amount of available land has a fair bit of importance as well.

Both factors are finite as of our present time and it would appear as if we are reaching the point of maximum oil production. While this should not necessarily mean maximum energy production in the past our societies have been so fossil fuel dependent that they have traditionally equated very closely.

I've read some on fusion and there seems to be major problems with it. Although excess waste produced is radioactive for a shorter period it appears as if radioactive waste is still produced. Not only that but the technical challenges to succesfully getting more energy out of it than input are significant and no one sees them being solved in the short term. It does appear as if the French are making significant progress in this field however.

Obviously it would be great for the exchange markets to be a true reflection of the equivalent cost of producing items between countries and I tend to suggest that they are reasonably good in this respect ,and getting better. based on the fact that many governments have been unable to politically stabilise their own currencies at will usually having to concede to market forces relatively quickly.

I consider the problems in the financial market are very much a result of the realisation that effectively limitless cheap energy err... isn't going to continue being limitless or cheap and there will need to be a complete societal re-alignment towards producing transporting and living in a completly different way while not impossible it does threaten particularly the western worlds standards of living. Technology such as fusion could potential hand a get out of jail free card to everyone but at the moment the cup is decidely half full. The cupboard is most definitely on the bare side.

I think the Doc is probably right. At the end of the day the proper research will only be done when the price looks worthwhile. I do get the impression that there has been somewhat of a rush to renewables especially in Scotland but while we may be able to service our residential needs transportation seems to be miles away from a solution.

I dread to think of how many thousands of years it took to create the fuel I use every day just to get to work.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 06:40
Seems in some parts of Europe the most valuable commodity currently is potable water and untainted fresh foods. It is that way in many countries globally.
When it all comes down to the crunch you can not eat your gold or monies and can not drink petrolium products either.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 09:40
Seems in some parts of Europe the most valuable commodity currently is potable water and untainted fresh foods. It is that way in many countries globally.
When it all comes down to the crunch you can not eat your gold or monies and can not drink petrolium products either.

True enough, but energy is the key, with enough energy, you can desalinate an ocean.

Last edited:

house

Banned
Local time
how to get more clean energy will be big problem!

Centaura

Local time
Economic Outlook 2016: GDP, Debt, Inflation, Interest Rates

well the US economy is on its all time low and for 2016 and beyond, all official U.S. economic forecasts call for stronger growth ahead. But, economic output is not the only variable on the rise. Inflation, debt levels, interest rates, and market valuations are also increasing. What does this mean for investors?????????????????????

And the economic outlook for 2016 has cleared all the doubts regarding the flatten economy that has created a huge loophole in the system and if the situation continues to be the same unemployment will surely be on the cards.The Federal Reserve is more optimistic. Current forecasts call for unemployment to be in the range of 4.8% to a high of 5.1% by the end of 2017. Therefore, the headline unemployment number is expected to decrease slightly

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
I think the zinger in economics will be the end of population growth. At the current time ALL economic activity is predicated on growth, but when population growth ends, and it will, won't economic growth also end? And won't that mean a fundamentally different approach to economics? Won't that spell the collapse of our whole system?

Imagine that ALL markets begin to shrink is size? How does our current system survive that event?

Centaura

Local time
Yes that will be the case when the population is on the verge of end its definite that the growth will come to a standstill but that's a very rare case and it would occur probably a 100 years down the line.Looking at the present scenario the situation doesn't look that great and if it continues to be the same the economic downfall would be on the cards!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom