The new face of descrimination (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:21
My granddaughter's fiancée was recently told by his employer that they couldn't promote him. Not that he didn't deserve a promotion but they needed someone who checked some boxes so J.P. Morgan Chase, his employer, isn't even pretending to be looking for the best to promote. They are picking by what boxes they need to fill, exactly the way Joe picked his cabinet. Whoops, I forgot someone who has brown eyes and is confined to a wheelchair so you'll have to wait for a promotion.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:21
Pat, maybe 30+ years ago we had a similar discussion about "checking boxes" and decided that the perfect employee would be a black or Latino lesbian woman confined to a wheelchair and who has difficulty in communication due to an incorrectly corrected cleft palate and a hearing loss.

I wonder how long before that becomes the standard?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:21
Pat, maybe 30+ years ago we had a similar discussion about "checking boxes" and decided that the perfect employee would be a black or Latino lesbian woman confined to a wheelchair and who has difficulty in communication due to an incorrectly corrected cleft palate and a hearing loss.

Scoff. Surely they should be a transgender lesbian?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, today that would be the case. But 30+ years ago, Transgender was still relatively rare.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
What does a cleft palate have to do with anything? There's no box for that. I should know. A bit insulting though.

Vassago

Local time
More insulted that someone I've known on this forum for 20 years couldn't respond so we can have a true discussion. See, people with cleft palates have been dealing with that kind of prejudice their whole lives. Thankfully, the younger generations seem to be less discriminatory and more understanding. These kind of prejudices are disappearing from the world.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
V, if your post #6 was about me, I couldn't respond because I wasn't on the forum for a while. I have a life outside of this forum.

Regarding my response to Pat's "check all the boxes" comment, I correctly reported what we said in our discussion. I neglected to state that the discussion was engendered by our HR department tossing all sorts of requirements at us to find a candidate who was all sorts of things and a real-time programmer too. So OF COURSE in our frustration we overreacted. That was the intended sense of the comment I made. If that didn't come through because I omitted part of the context, then I am sorry that you took offense.

Vassago

Local time
"Sorry that you took offense" is not an apology. It's neglecting your responsibility in the the offense and putting it on those offended.

I understand the intention of the post. The intention doesn't come through correctly when it incorrectly addresses the issue. I've been fortunate in my career that I've earned my place despite the prejudices of others over my cleft palate despite any "boxes that need to be checked."

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:21

And Muslim.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Not disappearing from the world, just morphing into cancel culture
Or, not disappearing from the world, just magically re-appearing but going in a different direction so we can feel better about ourselves (unless you're the guy being discriminated against) for a while.

Vassago

Local time
You think not insulting people for having a cleft palate is a part of cancel culture? You've got issues.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Thankfully, the younger generations seem to be less discriminatory and more understanding. These kind of prejudices are disappearing from the world.
I agree. I've been surpised more than once and couldn't be more proud of my daughter when she demonstrates her acceptance of others. I wasn't raised that way and I dont know where she learned it but it's good to see in her. They are the future whether you agree with them or not.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
They are the future whether you agree with them or not.
I'll agree, with a clarification. We should be kind and loving towards everyone in general without regard to their personal lifestyle. That doesn't mean we have to be accepting of specific things they choose to do. The difference - both understanding that the difference exists, as well as living it out, isn't always easy, nor simple, but ultimately is what we're all basically doing anyway--whether we admit it or not.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Too bad your daughter isn't running HR at J.P. Morgan Chase

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
The only flaw I see in your original premise is why you believe anyone else, regardless of their makeup, is not equally or better qualified than your grandson- in- law- to- be.

Vassago

Local time
I'll agree, with a clarification. We should be kind and loving towards everyone in general without regard to their personal lifestyle. That doesn't mean we have to be accepting of specific things they choose to do. The difference - both understanding that the difference exists, as well as living it out, isn't always easy, nor simple, but ultimately is what we're all basically doing anyway--whether we admit it or not.
Well, many of the things listed above are not choices. Now we can argue about whether or not some of the things above are choices and not get anywhere. It's pretty pointless because we won't change each others' minds. But most above are DEFINITELY not choices. I didn't choose to have a cleft palate. People don't generally chose to be in a wheelchair or deaf. Yet, there are people who are not accepting of these things and treat them like "boxes."

Vassago

Local time
Not to mention acceptance is not an endorsement nor does it mean you have to join.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Well, many of the things listed above are not choices. Now we can argue about whether or not some of the things above are choices and not get anywhere. It's pretty pointless because we won't change each others' minds. But most above are DEFINITELY not choices. I didn't choose to have a cleft palate. People don't generally chose to be in a wheelchair or deaf. Yet, there are people who are not accepting of these things and treat them like "boxes."
Yes, I agree with you on that. Being mean to someone because of a way they are that they do not choose is particularly egregious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom