The new face of descrimination (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:38
The only flaw I see in your original premise is why you believe anyone else, regardless of their makeup, is not equally or better qualified than your grandson- in- law- to- be.

Then the manager should have told him that other people were more qualified rather than he was the most qualified but they had to give the promotion to someone else because the boyfriend is a WASP and not even gay so he doesn't check ANY boxes.
But most above are DEFINITELY not choices. I didn't choose to have a cleft palate. People don't generally chose to be in a wheelchair or deaf. Yet, there are people who are not accepting of these things and treat them like "boxes."
The point I'm trying to make is that choosing who will get a promotion should be based on talent and aptitude rather than immutable characteristics. Just because in the past, it was common and accepted to discriminate against some classes of people doesn't make it right today to discriminate against different classes of people. Discrimination based on immutable characteristics is simply wrong. But Joe is MABA (Making America Bad Again). I wonder what color his hats should be.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It's not just meanness. It's considering others as lesser for some of these things. One can recognize another's differences without both pity and ignorance.

Examples, some that won't look me in the face because of my facial scars. Pretending they aren't there won't make them go away. I don't care of you never ask about them or ask all you want. Just don't be piteous or an ass about it.

I'll probably just tell you I was bitten by a shark while Olympic shark wrestling anyway. :p

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Then the manager should have told him that other people were more qualified rather than he was the most qualified but they had to give the promotion to someone else because the boyfriend is a WASP and not even gay so he doesn't check ANY boxes.
If thats a quote from the manager, I know a few lawyers who'd love to talk to him.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I'll probably just tell you I was bitten by a shark while Olympic shark wrestling anyway. :p
Made me chuckle.

I have a scar from a mishap with a power drill as a kid. When my stepson was little He asked about it and I told him I took a bullet during a firefight with some bad guys. 30 years later and I cant convince him it's not true.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It usually gets some laughs or confused looks. It separates out the sharp from the not so sharp. I've got a few causes lined up. Most people don't ask though. Either is fine.

I was glad to see it represented, though horribly fake, in Cobra Kai.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:38
@Vassago , to you I hereby directly apologize for any offense that I offered. That statement is unqualified in any way.

As a separate question, and given the context of the thread, I will ask if you honestly believe that some prejudicial comments would be unexpected. And Pat's original point wasn't wrong. Sometimes people get spun up because the wrong ethnicity or the wrong physical ability got a job or a promotion that someone else didn't get.

I remember an interview with a young black man who answered our ad for a real-time programmer fluent in assembly language concepts. I took the interview. I asked him about his programming experience. His answer: He learned how to program a programmable calculator in a math class. I asked him if he knew the meaning of real-time programming. He said he didn't. I asked if he was fluent in any computer assembly languages for PDP-11 family or Motorola 68xx family (either one would be acceptable). He had never heard of either machine. I did my best to tell him that his background did not match up to our requirements. He wanted to know if my decision was based on him being black. Fortunately, another of our programmers came in who WAS black and Tony was able to set the guy straight. But I suddenly felt trapped by the "affirmative action" nature of the situation. That pressure to "check some boxes" can lead to very serious frustration when the persons you REALLY want to hire aren't easy to find.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:38
I'll probably just tell you I was bitten by a shark while Olympic shark wrestling anyway.

Should make a great anecdote during Discovery Channel's Shark Week. Or maybe you could sign up as an extra in Sharknado XIV ?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If thats a quote from the manager, I know a few lawyers who'd love to talk to him.
He's too young. He sees himself going places and he doesn't want to rock the boat. If he makes this stand, Chase will never move him to the department he wants to move him to.

I once had a manager tell me that he wasn't giving me a raise because his wife didn't work so my husband and I made more than he did therefore I didn't need the money. I'd been with the company a few years and the president loved me so I took my case to him. A few months before the annual review I had taken over another project manager's group when he left and the company decided not to replace him so I went from having four direct reports to having 10 and was managing 2/3 of all the IT work for the company. The president saw my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom