The storms arrived... (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:58
I am in deep freeze mode myself. Feeling cold. Been in my local coffee shop for over 3 hours now. The power is still down at home.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Got power restored at 9pm this evening. So nice to have heat and light again! It was a 54 hour power outage, the longest in my life. Don't want to go through that again! Going to have to throw the entire fridge and freezer contents.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:58
Going to have to throw the entire fridge and freezer contents.
If meat, why? Did the freezer stuff thaw out? Did it rise above 40 degrees F?
Do you buy only frozen meat? Or do you take refrigerated meat home from the store and cook it 1 or 2 days later (after it has sat in the store for maybe a couple of days anyway) which would be no different?

When I had this sort of issue, I went by what I found at the USDA website because if you read anywhere else, all you get is someone's opinions - which are based on misinformation most of the time. Then again, if it makes you feel safer, by all means, toss it.

edit - usda might not have been the one. It might have been US HHS, but it was an official site nonetheless.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I'm in spain at the moment it was 24° :cool: really not looking forward to returning home to margate monday

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I checked on several authoritative websites. Power outage was for 54 hours and half full freezer they say chuck after 24 hours, fridge 6 hours.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:58
Usually I can tell by touch - of the cardboard packaging. When stuff thaws then refreezes, the packaging becomes soggier than normal. But that general rule of thumb makes sense. Also, you can prepare by using my trick with the coin and container of water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom