The Three Deaths (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:22
I just came across this today again and it filled me with great sadness:

The first is when the body ceases to function.
The second is when the body is consigned to the grave.
The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.

It brings home that inevitable truth...we are all going to die. And to think that our own identities will be lost to history.

How does "The Three Deaths" make you feel? What does it make you think about?

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
bit morbid today are we?

There was something on the box the other day (can't remember the program). Someone who played for the school football team decided on the last game before he left school to score an own goal - reason: so he would be talked about in the future.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:22
I remember it as:
When you body dies.
When the last person who knew you is gone.
When nobody ever mentions you again.

Everything is temporary.
Make the most of your opportunity as one of those who got to exist.
A virtually infinite number of potential people never won this exclusive lottery like we did.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
A virtually infinite number of potential people never won this exclusive lottery like we did.
That is an argument for why vegetarianism is cruel. The denial of life by decimating an industry that has life at its very essence. But I digress.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Yes we won big time. We "first world" inhabitants, in what? the top 10% in terms of wealth and privilege compared to the rest of the world?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:22
I certainly have a lot to be thankful for. I personally believe in life after death, which is a comfort of sorts. But I am like everyone else, in that imagining life suddenly without a spouse or she without me, my kids etc., is a very sobering and overwhelming thought.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:22
This thread has a new meaning to me these days. There has been a few deaths in my own family as well as my extended family over the last two years - one was COVID related.

I have never been saddened by death, I know it is the natural cycle - but what is becoming front and center is that before long I will soon be the oldest generation in my family and they will be saying the same things about me that I am saying about my father's generation. Very sobering realization.

Only one cure for that...question is do I use an IPA or single malt...the struggle is real!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Experience can give insight you never had before. Stating the bleeding obvious, I know.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:22
NG, that is indeed a very sobering thought. Whenever I deal with other people dying it is a painful missing. Whenever I think of me dying, although it doesn't make me feel afraid, yet, it makes me STRONGLY question my purpose in life, like "What am I doing?? What should I be doing? Life's more than half over!"

I often think, that feeling would be overwhelming to me if I didn't try to believe in some higher purpose. We are not an accident.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:22
I often think, that feeling would be overwhelming to me if I didn't try to believe in some higher purpose. We are not an accident.
No, not by accident. I have a real hard time subscribing to the idea that there is some kind, grandfather-like being in the heavens who remembers everyone's birthday but there HAS to be more to this than
Code:
With Life
    Do Until EOL
        .born
        .eat
        .shit
        .sleep
    Loop

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time