The ultimate life-or-death decision - for Muslims (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:28
Suppose that you, a Muslim, were about to die and needed a kidney, but none was available. But then, miraculously, there is a transplant option Here's the catch ... in order to live, you must accept a pig's kidney. But you are Muslim and pigs are not halal. What do you do?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:28
My one daughter has a pig's heart valve to replace one that was going bad. I wonder if that falls into the same category for Muslims?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The koran only forbids eating it, not sure if it covers installing it in your body as an organ.

Also, the koran has an exception for eating pork if, for example, you are starving and there is nothing else to eat.

Thus, if I were Muslim, I'd interpret the situation as totally allowed (as to your question). Because you are dying, and there is nothing left to do.
(Spirit of the law).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:28
I saw the article and immediately thought about cultures that use the halal/kosher concepts and that don't consider it possible for anything to do with a pig as being usable. Thought I would solicit some opinions.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have no independent knowledge, that's just what I found. Hopefully they will avail themselves of this new science if needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom