They don't need AI, just call my Wife! (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:14
Over Christmas, I joined in with my wife in completing Jigsaw puzzles.

Unexpectedly, I discovered it was very interesting and challenging, on a par with programming!

I realized that the secret to "Puzzling" was finding the "Edge Cases". In trying to find a link between edge cases in science, and edge cases in puzzles, this, the first article I found that broadly fits...

If you have ever "Puzzled" you will know that the first thing you do is pull out all of the edges. This is a physical edge case, in that there is no real decision to make on what constitutes the edge, it is physically there, in the box.

The next stage is to find other edges within the confines of the puzzle. These can be the joins between different coloured sections, like the ground and the sky, clouds against the blue sky. You might find faces, animal shapes, vehicles, houses. In a kitchen scene there might be an AGA cooker, a table, a dish cloth.

And that's the skill, to choose the edge case that returns the most bang for your buck.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:14
Good stuff Tony. My wife (and I) do some puzzles. Here's one that edges proved not to be the strategy.
With this one you start in middle and work out, because all edge pieces are jagged, it was different.
Skype_Picture_2022_01_09T13_07_17_176Z.jpeg

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:14
I couple of the puzzles I have are in an odd shape (not rectangular or square). The first few times solving the puzzles were a bit challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom