Think I Did It Right, But Split DB Wont Allow > 1 User (1 Viewer)

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:04
Access 2010
Split DB with the BE on a shared drive
Runtime file created by copying and renaming accdb file after splitting.
All FEs are accdr.
Each user has their own copy of the FE
Each FE works.
BE Client Settings
Default Open Mode 'Shared'
Default Record Locking 'No Locks'
Client Settings for the accdb file that the accdr was created from are the same.

What am I doing wrong?

Ranman256

Local time
that it! I do this all the time and no user has problems with others.
now, this is for full Access users.

I didnt have lots of users using Runtime version. Maybe 2 people.
So not a lot of data to test your problem.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:04
The front ends weren't created with "Exclusive" access enabled were they?

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
FE created after setting accdb file to "Shared".

Forgot to mention, I also tried the Default Record Locking option of "Edited Record" to no avail.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
What happens if you get the end user to open the original FE before you renamed it?

If they only have runtime installed it will open in that way anyway.

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
The db opens in the runtime environment. Still won't allow multi user.

The Microsoft Access database engine cannot open or write to the file, '\\blahblah\folder\database.accdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or yo need permission to view or write its data.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It is already opened exclusively by another user
This is your problem. It definitely sounds as if the client is opening the database in exclusive mode.

Can you open their version on your machine and see if that setting has magically "reverted" to Exclusive?

Does each user have a their own local copy of the FE?

Have a a look at the BE location, do all the users have full read/write access to that network folder?

Can you see the lock file once on the BE once a user is logged in and examine it?

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
This is your problem. It definitely sounds as if the client is opening the database in exclusive mode.

Can you open their version on your machine and see if that setting has magically "reverted" to Exclusive?
I'm testing with one user who has Access, (His installation is set to Shared, no locks), a second with just the Runtime, and my own PC with Access (Shared, no locks).

Does each user have a their own local copy of the FE?
Yes, each user has their own copy of the FE.

Have a a look at the BE location, do all the users have full read/write access to that network folder?
I've set the permissions on the BE folder to "Full Control" and allowed that to cascade to contained objects. I also did this for the folder that contains the original accdb, file and the accdr file that I am distributing. I also got on both of the test PCs and set the permissions to Full Control.

Can you see the lock file once on the BE once a user is logged in and examine it?
I can see the lock file. What do you mean by examine it? I am able to right click and view the Properties, and because its in the above folder, the permissions are set to Full Control, but that's it.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I can see the lock file. What do you mean by examine it? I am able to right click and view the Properties, and because its in the above folder, the permissions are set to Full Control, but that's it.
You can open it in notepad or similar to see who's got it locked. It will probably only confirm that it's the user who has it opened , but you never know...

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
When attempting to open lock file with Notepad, I get "Access denied".

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:04
Did you set the access property of the be in Windows (read, write, full access, allow delete). Also with the folder.

Last edited:

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. See attached.

Attachments

• BEFolderPerm.JPG
    BEFolderPerm.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 45
  • BackEndDatabasePermissions.JPG
    BackEndDatabasePermissions.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 48

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:04
The problem is not with the Fe, it's on the computer sharing the be, it is resetting the rights maybe by your antivirus or folder share. Tweak your network and advance sharing.

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
The shared folder we use is a solid State Hard Drive connected via USB to a Netgear router. Setting permissions, and consistent access to this thing has been an issue from the day we installed it. By way of experimentation, I recreated the entire database setup within a shared folder on a PC that I maintain elsewhere in the facility for another purpose. Presto, everything works, and the database loads at lightning speed compared to before, even with three simultaneous users.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Glad you got it sorted out.

I wouldn't recommend hosting anything on a USB connected drive that requires the sort of network usage an access database will need. Even if you get a really cheap server it will prove more reliable than your current set up. And be easier to back up.

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah a couple of us (we're a pretty small outfit) have been after the boss to do this for a while. Neither of us are any great shakes in the IT department, though we are all we've got, but figure we could sort out setting one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom