Thought-provoking video on trolling! - Trolling destroys lives (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:55
Chris Packham - 31 December 2021
Trolling destroys lives
Trolling destroys homes , careers , reputations and lives . Cowards that generate hate , hiding behind anonymous accounts is something that MUST end

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:55
FB, Twitter, and Google are positively evil. Google works with China to develop surveillance technology and AI and refuses to work with the US government. They censor truth they disagree with and foster drug deals think "death to America" is not hate speech. FB works hard to manipulate elections and FB also censors truth if it deviates from the party line but allows harassment even when you complain so it fosters suicide. Twitter is better than FB but only because the messages are very short. All of them are on my "do not buy" list in my investment account. I would never invest in a company I want to see destroyed because of the damage they have done to the world.

The Democrats keep having Congressional hearings where they threaten all of them with sanctions if they don't suppress free speech and those feckless dog poo Republicans just sit back and cower while the Constitution is neutered right in front of us.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:55
Social media has been so bad for us in so many ways. It tastes good (to some) like a strawberry shake, and is just about the same good in the longer term. If I were raising young kids now, I'm not sure exactly how I would handle it. I think I have an idea what youth actually need - total elimination of it. But I'm unsure what 'balance' I'd strike as a parent, given the way it's woven into communications now between the young folks.

I guess maybe I'd just treat it like any other harmful, addictive substance that needed to be minimized but couldn't be avoided: Limit the heck out of it and ACTIVELY, intentionally try to teach my kids alternatives - like how to compose emails, how to talk to people on the phone, and actual face to face outings with people. As well as recognizing when it was becoming an emotional harm and/or a waste of valuable time as best as they could.

But back to the thread purpose. I haven't clicked the link yet, but given the posts and title, I have to assume that in this case by "trolling" the author is referring to the worst case type of stuff--what we used to call "flame wars" when the internet first started.

Yes - People have a responsibility.

Get off the dang computer! Walk around your house, have a conversation with someone, pick up the phone, drive around the block, take a walk, feel the rain, get your hands dirty, trim a bush, hike, bake a cookie, do a hobby, watch a movie, pet the dog, volunteer to help somebody else, listen to or make music, eat a meal with another person. Stay in touch with the physical world at a 10:1 ratio to the digital world, as best as you can.

Even eat a ding-dong if you must. Literally anything other than scrolling through more near-strangers random streams of consciousness, or, worse yet, their heavily filtered "best version of myself" pictures and projections, the constant examination of which has nearly ruined a generation of young girls via self esteem, envy, loneliness and stress.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:55
I met a friend for lunch yesterday. At the table across from us were four adults. Young but not children. Each had a phone in hand and paid no attention to his/her companions. I never once noticed any of them talking to anyone except the server. How absolutely sad is that?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:55
We regulate addictive drugs like controlled substances, why not harmful/addictive algorithms like the one's Google and Facebook brag about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom