"thread viewed by" ? (1 Viewer)

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Today, 10:24
could be a silly idea, but: maybe a link to "thread viewed by" and then a list of users who have been to the thread (and when)? similar to when you go to someone's profile and you can see "current activity"....

not really ALL that useful, but interesting and useful in some situations (like if you think someone would know a solution but they've visited the thread and not left a reply? maybe?) but probably not hard to implement?

Local time
Yesterday, 19:24
The only issue with using that as any kind of a tool is that I'll read a request and choose not to answer it for reasons other than my knowledge (usually for fear I'll get tangled up in an Access 101 teaching session or end up designing an entire solution).

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
but didn't you do that (101's) for me umpteen times? ;-P LOL

i see your point. i guess it was just something that would be interesting for me, rather than actually helpful. and i do see that it could get tedious for the gurus like yourself.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Could potentially open up the whole can of worms involving cyber stalking.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 17:24
Yeah, the idea doesn't thrill me either. There are threads I look at but decide, for some reason or another, not to answer. I'd rather not have people looking and saying, "why didn't you answer?"

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
Yeah, the idea doesn't thrill me either. There are threads I look at but decide, for some reason or another, not to answer. I'd rather not have people looking and saying, "why didn't you answer?"

Agreed! It would cause way too many problems to redeem anything beneficial.

Local time
Yesterday, 19:24
but didn't you do that (101's) for me umpteen times? ;-P LOL

i see your point. i guess it was just something that would be interesting for me, rather than actually helpful. and i do see that it could get tedious for the gurus like yourself.

For some reason, I'm not as patient (or don't have as long an attention span) as I was a year ago. I think it has something to do with the meds I'm taking.

But here is an example of what I anticipate happening every time I answer a question: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=915410&postcount=6

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
G’day Woy Woy. ;)

From your signature: -
>>if someone has helped you, you can give them a virtual hug by adding to their reputation: click on the scales icon in the top right-hand corner of their post.<<

I don’t like the 'reputation' thing at all but consider it as a double edged sword.
Those that giveth are also those that can taketh away.

I think it is a childish practice but there are people on this site, some of whom are VIP’s, who give negative reputations.

But considering that the 'reputation' thing will continue, mainly because it is by and large flattering for those who require it, then they would also have to accept the other edge of the sword as well.

Regards,
Chris.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
G’day Woy Woy. ;)

From your signature: -
>>if someone has helped you, you can give them a virtual hug by adding to their reputation: click on the scales icon in the top right-hand corner of their post.<<

I don’t like the 'reputation' thing at all but consider it as a double edged sword.

I think it is a childish practice but there are people on this site, some of whom are VIP’s, who give negative reputations.

But considering that the 'reputation' thing will continue, mainly because it is by and large flattering for those who require it, then they would also have to accept the other edge of the sword as well.

Regards,
Chris.

LOL - i'm a leo, if that explains anything... but also vey well aware that bad rep can be given too... maybe i should change that in my sig...

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
In addition to the type of problem Bob and George mentioned there could be an advertising isse. If you view the thread 10 times I think it will add 10 views, that is, duplicates accepted for the count.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
G’day Woy Woy.

1. Consider that a reputation given to a person on a web site could be entirely at the discretion of the web master and/or the people empowered by the web master.
2. The reputation may have been given without the express permission of the person so described.
3. The site may have had no consultation with the person so described.
4. If consultation did take place the reputation may have been refused.
5. The site may have a policy of keeping private information out of the public arena.
6. Such policy may constitute a contract between the site and the person.
7. The site may expressly allow web ‘bots’ on the site.
8. Such ‘bots’ publically report to the web the persons reputation.

It would be entirely up to a court to make some decision on the matter as to if the above constitutes defamation.

Companies that frequent the site may not want to get involved as a third party.
Companies may not want their employees to frequent the site.
Companies that bestow reputations of their own may not want their recipients seen as a third party.
Companies that advertise on the site may not want to be seen as a third party.

So what is in a reputation?
A reputation could be seen as defamation of the person receiving such reputation.
It could also be seen as a risk to the web master and/or the people so empowered by the web master.

Most people would probably not complain if they liked the reputation they were given; but what if they didn’t?

Regards,
Chris.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 01:24

Regards,
Chris.
I agree the reputation thing is a bit of a farce. A lot of the people who try to give reputation are newcomers who who have been given a solution and think they are being positive by giving reputation. Unfortunately they don't know that they can't actually give rep points yet.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
I agree the reputation thing is a bit of a farce. A lot of the people who try to give reputation are newcomers who who have been given a solution and think they are being positive by giving reputation. Unfortunately they don't know that they can't actually give rep points yet.

not to mention that you can't give rep points to people if you've given them a fair amount of rep previously... so the people who ARE helping you can't actually be repped anymore.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
A number of users have more then one signin so the 'who visited' would not neccessarily show a familiar name. The reputation scales thing is a good idea to use, think there is a limit on it so people do not over click their bestest friends in the whole world just for because.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
right, so i've removed the rep thing from my sig. if so many users dislike this thing perhaps it should be removed/disabled form the site itself?

and ok, i agree that "viewed by" would be a bad idea in practice - i was just thinking out loud :-/

i concede!

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Don't concede! How are we gonna stay honest?

I see nothing wrong with the rep thing.

LOL, i concede on this issue - as for honesty, i still have no filter between my brain and my mouth! rest assured i'll keep ya'll in line!! mwah ha ha ha ha!

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
I've suggested it in past but I really think that new posters should have the largest potential to rep someone and as they post more, their reputation power drop and eventually becomes just 1.

I think they had rejected the proposal as it would be easy to abuse by making up lot of bogus accounts and padding the original account. Oh, well.

Another thing is that AWf is quite remarkable in that reputation is very under-emphasized compared to other forums I've been members that didn't have their reputation system disabled. In a way that is a good thing because it means we've been focusing on the 'right thing' rather than whoring so for that reasons I don't mind reputation so much. You should have seen it in action on other forums, especially gaming forums where whoring is much more evident.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Best team members will pass on unfiltered information AND their honest opinion!
This tends to keep people in line and not candy coat the truth no matter how hard it is to take.

LOL, i concede on this issue - as for honesty, i still have no filter between my brain and my mouth! rest assured i'll keep ya'll in line!! mwah ha ha ha ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom