To Password backend (1 Viewer)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Yesterday, 19:28
I watched a youtube explaining how to make password for back end. Since even when we open front end we need to enter password. I thinks we do not need to make a password for backend. Because user already have password to log in the database, so if user have to enter again the password, it is not practical. Am I right in my understanding on password back end?

Thank you

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
yes, we don't passwd our backend neither.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:28
It all depends on what you're trying to protect. If you add a password to the BE, the users shouldn't have to enter it in the FE, because Access will store it for you and just use it. So, if you don't care that anyone can take a copy of the BE file and look at the data (without using your FE), then you don't need to password-protect the BE.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
You will have to remove the password from the BE. I think the method to do this is to create a new, empty database and import the tables from the one with the password. You will be prompted for the password. When you get the tables imported, close the new database. Rename the old database just in case you need to go back to it. change the name of the unprotected BE to the old name. If it works, move the new BE to the share folder.

Things we should learn from this:
1. ALWAYS make a backup first when you are making a change to your production database.
2. Never make changes to the production version of anything. Always change your copy and test before moving it back to the distribution folder.
3. Make sure your IT people have scheduled automatic backups that include both your master folder for the Access FE as well as the shared folder for the BE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom