Tool Tips for text box content (1 Viewer)

The Rev

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:54
Using Access 2016. I have a form with a discussion textbox. Is there a way to parse the text for specific terms and hover over the term in the text box and get a "tool tip" popup with a definition for that term?

Thanks.

Ranman256

Local time
If the box has lots of text/sentences, then no easy way.
It may be possible with lots of code to:
select the word, chop up the box, get the word, lookup the word, display tooltip.

The Rev

Registered User.
Local time
If the box has lots of text/sentences, then no easy way.
It may be possible with lots of code to:
select the word, chop up the box, get the word, lookup the word, display tooltip.

That's what I was afraid of. Yeah, the text box has a lot of discussion text. I don't have a lot of terms to define though. Like 12 or 13 maybe.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
If this is for a single specific word that might be in a particular textbox ( or perhaps just 2 or 3 words ) I can envision using the control tag to provide the word(s), using InStr function to see if the control contains that word, then displaying the tip text. However, actual tip text feature can be flaky at times, so you might want to consider some other means of delivering the tip. Maybe a button with a ? caption

The Rev

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah, it's for a specific word or phrase. For instance:

Require multifactor authentication to establish nonlocal maintenance sessions via external network connections and terminate such connections when nonlocal maintenance is complete.

I want to be able to hover over "nonlocal" or "external network" and have the definition display.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I know of know way to make a particular word in a string interact with the mouse unless maybe that word is a hyperlink. I didn't interpret your first post that way.
I've never tried this, but AFAIK, your field would have to be formatted as rtf for a start, and those specific words would have to be wrapped in href tags, making them clickable - and that's an assumption on my part. Not sure if href is usable in a rtf field. If the field itself was hyperlink type it would attempt to make the entire contents a link.

I thought you wanted to look for a keyword in a field, not click on it and do something so I'm afraid I'm just speculating now. Sorry.

The Rev

Registered User.
Local time
I know of know way to make a particular word in a string interact with the mouse unless maybe that word is a hyperlink. I didn't interpret your first post that way.
I've never tried this, but AFAIK, your field would have to be formatted as rtf for a start, and those specific words would have to be wrapped in href tags, making them clickable - and that's an assumption on my part. Not sure if href is usable in a rtf field. If the field itself was hyperlink type it would attempt to make the entire contents a link.

I thought you wanted to look for a keyword in a field, not click on it and do something so I'm afraid I'm just speculating now. Sorry.

Oh that's quite alright. I appreciate you brainstorming with me. The field is already rtf, so that's a plus. I may try the HREF tags just to see.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Please do let us know if and how you solve it. Maybe more suggestions are forthcoming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom