Transaction History Log? (1 Viewer)

Grazer

Local time
Today, 14:12
Hi

First post here, after getting back into Access having not used it for some 20 odd years - and trying to get to grips with it again.

Anyway, I've created a very simple stock database for my company which works fine (essentially product name/quantity/value) which is updated via a form, but now but trying to find the easiest way to add a transaction history log to it, so I can quickly view and search stock movements (in / out).

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? Surprised Access still doesn't have this feature as default (as far as I can tell at least)

thanks

G

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I would have thought you would be doing that as you book in new stock and sell stock.?
Have you had a look at the Northwind sample DB?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:12
Your question tells me you are using a non-preferred method of maintaining inventory. The preferred method of tracking inventory is you have your product table, but then you have individual transactions to add or subtract stock for whatever reason. You keep these transaction records very small, perhaps only a stock ID, date, amount, and transaction type. Then you have a query that groups by the stock ID, orders by the date, and sums the amount. On any given day, that should be your inventory in-hand. Then you would have your transactions and your inventory at the same time.

Grazer

Local time
Your question tells me you are using a non-preferred method of maintaining inventory. The preferred method of tracking inventory is you have your product table, but then you have individual transactions to add or subtract stock for whatever reason. You keep these transaction records very small, perhaps only a stock ID, date, amount, and transaction type. Then you have a query that groups by the stock ID, orders by the date, and sums the amount. On any given day, that should be your inventory in-hand. Then you would have your transactions and your inventory at the same time.
thanks -yes, that's what I'm needing to accomplish. Any suggestions as to where to look for examples of how to set this out?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:12
This forum has many articles along these lines - search the forum. SEARCH is in the top line to the right of the place where your forum name is displayed.

OR look in the "Similar Threads" entries as a starting point. The forum's software is pretty good at associating articles based on topics and keywords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom