Transfer functions? (1 Viewer)

jxwd

Local time
Today, 11:00
Hi I have inherited a system which I am converting from Access to SQL.

The customer has 2 access databases. The second is derived from the first, using "Transfer Functions"...

I would like to see the functions to understand the relationship. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have literally only opened Access on a PC once, so need to be simple steps / words please :)

Many Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:00
Hmm, how did you know about these "transfer functions?" If you're referring to some VBA code, maybe you can post them here, so we can try to explain them for you.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:00
Can you be more specific with respect to the Access databases and Transfer functions?
Are these databases on current version(s) of Access? Are the Transfer functions based on some mathematics based library/routine?

jxwd

Local time
Hi The "Transfer Functions" were mentioned in passing by the previous engineer... who has retired... this is literally all I know... But I do have a copy of the company system on my PC.

jxwd

Local time
Hmm, how did you know about these "transfer functions?" If you're referring to some VBA code, maybe you can post them here, so we can try to explain them for you.
where would I find the VBA code if it exists?

jxwd

Local time
It has customer logins... but I could share it one of them (the smaller derived one there are transfers both ways) privately if that is possible?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:00
The biggest question would be if there is a name for the functions in question. Going from Access to SQL Server can even be at least partly handled by some functions available from the External Data elements on the ribbon. But it would help us to have some ideas about what you are doing and where that option originates.

jxwd

Local time
The biggest question would be if there is a name for the functions in question. Going from Access to SQL Server can even be at least partly handled by some functions available from the External Data elements on the ribbon. But it would help us to have some ideas about what you are doing and where that option originates.
Hiya the "transfer functions" are between the Access databases. I am trying to remove the derived database, and use the first database directly... but in order to do so I need to better understand the relationship between the two...

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:00
Hi The "Transfer Functions" were mentioned in passing by the previous engineer... who has retired... this is literally all I know... But I do have a copy of the company system on my PC.
It may be all you know, but you know a great deal more than we can without seeing the accdb in question.

You can open the VBE from the ribbon:

1651700995828.png

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
and you can click on the relationships button to see the table relationships (assuming any have been created)

I am converting from Access to SQL
I have literally only opened Access on a PC once

here's hoping you know more about sql server :) . In theory it is pretty straightforward. In practice you may have a lot of conversions to do if your queries, forms and reports have not been designed with a view to eventual upsizing. Plus there are some things sql server can do more efficiently due to a wider vocabulary so you would want to do those differently.

Just curious as to why your customer is upsizing to sql server? Performance is usually the last reason for wanting to upsize, usual reasons are because of the 2gb limit of an access back end and/or increased security.

Are you keeping the Access front end or planning a rewrite to run in a browser or some other environment?

jxwd

Local time
It may be all you know, but you know a great deal more than we can without seeing the accdb in question.

You can open the VBE from the ribbon:

View attachment 100325

Ahh yes prefect this looks like the right kind of thing!...

I have the ACCDE file... But haven't seen the accdb ... One is complied from the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom