Transfer Spreadsheet problem (1 Viewer)

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Yesterday, 23:08
Recently I answered a question in this subforum about the Transfer Spreadsheet method. Then, I was trying to help another forum member. Now I'm the one with the problem.
Always found this method to be useful but quirky.

A function, which has been working for years (with the occasional hiccup) is now balking.
I'm getting this message:

Run-time error '3274'
External table is not in the expected format.

I've tried all sorts of fixes.
Pasting the source query into the spreadsheet, restoring from backups, recreating the exact circumstances that worked in the past - all to no avail.
Now I'm getting stressed because this is a critical function in my DB and work has stopped while I try to resolve this.

I'm going from an Access query to an external spreadsheet.
Done this many time before. There are other very similar functions in my DB that use the same method and they are working fine. I tried substituting the one that works for the one that doesn't - I'm still getting that blasted error. I'd copy and paste my code but I'm convinced that my code is okay. It's the external spreadsheet that somehow is rejecting the source data. I even tried sending the data to a totally blank spreadsheet - I still get the error.

Anybody have any ideas on what is causing this error?

I'm on Access 2013 by the way.

Thanks,
Libre

EDIT:
Here's another piece of information.
After I get the error, if I open the spreadsheet the data has in fact been transferred - except it's on a new tab. If the original and intended tab is called, let's say, DataTransfer, I find the data on a newly created tab called DataTransfer(1). So the transfer is in fact working - it's just not putting in in the right place. If I just ignore the errors and continue - then I get a connection string dialog box - but this is for subsequent operations after the transfer spreadsheet (I'm going from Excel to a Word mail-merge). I have to solve the first problem and I think the second problem will go away on it's own - hopefully.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:08
Have you tried deleting the target spreadsheet completely?

I had a similar issue and it turned out someone had save a total equation in the spreadsheet and when using the transfer method Access doesn't seem to overwrite the target in a conventional way. It only gave the error out when the number of rows reached where the total had been saved.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Yesterday, 23:08
I'll give it a shot.
I'll report back momentarily.

edit:
IT WORKED.

Whoever you are, sir, you just pulled my buns out of the fire, saved my job, saved the company, and saved the world.
I thank you greatly.
May your handicap go to scratch.
Fairways and greens, sir.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:08
:) :D

Took me some considerable time to work it out - glad I was able to assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom