Transferspreadsheet and .xlsm (1 Viewer)

MailMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:02
I have a database I converted from Access 2003 to Access 2010. In this Db I have a Sub that uses Transferspreadsheet for exporting a query into an existing Excel workbook. Recently I have been trying to use Sub to export into an .xlsm workbook. I changed code so .xls(default) and any other extrension (Optional extensionName) could be used. Sub will export to .xls and .xlsx but not to .xlsm workbooks.

Code:
Sub ExcelReportExport(outName As String, qryName As String, Optional pName As Variant, _
Optional sName As Variant, Optional noPivotFlag As Boolean, Optional fPath As String, _
Optional extensionName As String)

On Error GoTo ExcelReportExport_Err

Dim reportName As String

If extensionName = "" Then reportName = outName & ".xls" Else reportName = outName & extensionName

'transfer data to excel workbook
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, , qryName, fPath & reportName

ExcelReportExport_Exit:
Exit Sub
ExcelReportExport_Err:
MsgBox Error$
Resume ExcelReportExport_Exit
End Sub
(I have removed code not dealing with this problem)

When I run with no pre-existing workbook it will create for .xls and .xlxs extensions but throws an error message for .xlsm: "Cannot update. Database or object is read-only."

When run for .xlsm with a pre-existing workbook no error is given but workbook is not updated. Any ideas?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You need to provide a value for the second argument so Access knows what version you want to create.

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Sub will export to .xls and .xlsx but not to .xlsm workbooks.

I seem to recall there not being a constant which will cause the DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet function to produce an .xlsm file format.

AcSpreadSheetType Enumeration (Access)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff196017.aspx

Which this page does not include:
acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12Xml
which is a valid constant. :confused:

Somewhere I remember M$ having documented that as a valid constant. hhhmmm...

MailMan

Registered User.
Local time
I originally had a value for the second argument. I tried acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12Xml and 10 as arguments before taking them out altogether.

I have tried changing Transferspreadsheet to OutputTo but it does not give .xlsm as an available format.

Is there a way to transfer a query straight into an existing .xlsm workbook?

thechazm

VBA, VB.net, C#, Java
Local time
Instead of using transferspreadsheet you can write up a function to read you queries dynamically and output them to xlsm's or any other format you want them in.

thechazm

VBA, VB.net, C#, Java
Local time
Instead of using transferspreadsheet you can write up a function to read you queries dynamically and output them to xlsm's or any other format you want them in.

thechazm

VBA, VB.net, C#, Java
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom