Tip Trusted Location but still get Security Warning (1 Viewer)

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:42
I have answered my own question already, but thought I would post this in case others find it useful.

My trusted location page contains this path:
\\nfswkgrp\nfswkgrp\pcamain\Access2007Conversion\2007DBs\

I have checked the "Allow trusted locations on my network" box.

I open this database:
On my network, I have \\workgroups\myworkgroups mapped to M: drive.

I open database
M:\mywkgp\Access2007Conversion\2007DBs\FPMDataEntry2007.accdb

And I still get the "Security Warning: Certain Content has been disabled" message every time I open it.

But if I set up my shortcut to open using the whole \\workgroups\myworkgroups\mywkgp\Access2007Conversion\2007DBs\FPMDataEntry2007.accdb, it works as expected, with no security warning.

Also, using the trust center I browsed to m:\mywkgrp etc and tried to add the trusted location that way, but when I do the trust center stores a whole big long path starting with mycompanyname.com\global\namerica\mytown\workgroups\myworkgroup etc.
and then I need to include that whole string in my shortcut in order to avoid the security warning.

So the moral is: You must use EXACTLY the same FORMAT of the path in your shortcut as is stored in the trust center.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:42
As you have discovered... It is wise to only use the UNC \\server\partition\database\ instead of fixed drives X:\database\ for any references to file locations in regards to Access databases.

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:42
Yes, but what suprises me is that now if, using windows, I navigate to the m: etc. path and open the db from there, I still get the security message. Something has changed on our network recently to cause this, because when I originally set this up with the \\workgroups stuff in trusted locations, I would swear that I could still open the db from m: without getting the security warnings.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:42
As you have discovered... It is wise to only use the UNC \\server\partition\database\ instead of fixed drives X:\database\ for any references to file locations in regards to Access databases.

Not really. It depends how the network is configured. In fact there are significant advantages to using a mapped path.

A mapped path allows the location of the data to be easily moved to another machine or partition without having to change anything but the script that maps the path. The mapping script is included in the Logon scripts in Group Policy.

Moreover it is not unusual to implement a Group Policy that disallows UNC paths to ordinary users. Consequently users with no business accessing the database never even see the file let alone try to open it.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:42
Yeah, in our case here it worked to our advantage to use a mapped drive instead of UNC path. We have standard mappings, so all workstations have the same mappings. When we had two server changes recently, our databases continued to work without having to go fix them (which we would have had to do if we used a UNC path).

So the moral of the story is just - know your network and act appropriately. The appropriate method, for most, will likely be using the UNC path, but it isn't necessarily so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom