Twits Running Twitter (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:11

Rumman Chowdhury, a director on Twitter’s AI research team.

She also noted that Twitter had a “beautiful culture of constructive criticism”

Christ, you couldn't make it up!

Only if you ban the people you don't like, like the President of America...

She also said:-

Chowdhury noted that:-

“It would be interesting to see how he’d (Musk) run a company with no employees.”

Well, that would be a good outcome, the lefty cancel culture idiots leaving of their own accord, but you just know that they wouldn't, they would hang around and inflict as much damage as possible!

Last edited:

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 12:11

Rumman Chowdhury, a director on Twitter’s AI research team.

She also noted that Twitter had a “beautiful culture of constructive criticism”

Christ, you couldn't make it up!

Only if you ban the people you don't like, like the President of America...

She also said:-

Chowdhury noted that:-

“It would be interesting to see how he’d (Musk) run a company with no employees.”

Well, that would be a good outcome, the lefty cancel culture idiots leaving of their own accord, but you just know that they wouldn't, they would hang around and inflict as much damage as possible!
Go ahead and quit. No unemployment benefits!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:11
Go ahead and quit. No unemployment benefits!
Oh haven't you heard, nobody needs unemployment benefits anymore. The government will take care of everyone using the money of the people who still choose to work, ever fewer as they may be

see nowadays it's all about equity, not meritocracy

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:11
Elon Musk has offered to buy Twitter for $41 billion.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 13:11
Is Musk playing with us?
Seems that Musk is playing a (market manipulation) game were Musk is not really disclosing what his ultimate goal is. Lets call it a game of "smoke and mirrors". Recall, the Robinhood/Gamestop scandal. For now Musk has evidently hit a sensitive nerve where some Twitter employees are having an anaphylactic shock to a potential Musk takeover. (Which further confirms that social media does not believe in real free speech, but consider it acceptable to willfully suppress conservative comments.)

There is no way to know what Musk is really thinking. But on the surface, it would seem there would be no real need to take the company private. Musk could simply buy 51% of the company and appoint his own board of directors (assuming Twitter's corporate rules would allow that). Next, instead of buying Twitter why not invest (put $$$) into alternatives, such as Rumble?

So we watch. Should be fun!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Too much cacophony (news) concerning Musk/Twitter. So I will focus on a couple of points that Musk may be playing with us.

The current price of Twitter (4/18/2022) is $46.51. On April 4th, CNN reported: "News of the purchase sent shares of Twitter (TWTR) soaring 22% in early trading. Musk did not disclose what he paid for the shares, but his stake was worth $2.9 billion as of the close of trading Friday, and $3.5 billion after the spike early Monday." On April 1st, the price of Twitter stock was $39.31. Additionally, there is an informal indicator, that if a stock is not trading close it's proposed buyout value, that the financial community does not consider that buyout as plausible.

Musk is as showman disrupter, he has achieved that objective by provoking the left and the financial community to react. Musk can now sell his shares for a profit. That would seem to be what a rationale person would do. Furthermore, he has forced those on the left to essentially acknowledge that through content moderation censorship that the 2020 election was rigged. Nevertheless, what is Musk really up-to? While I am playing normal 2D chess, Musk might be on a higher reality plane, with 3D chess.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article had what I considered to be a really interesting factoid.
"Amazon founder and billionaire Jeff Bezos purchased the Washington Post in 2016 for $250 million."
So, I find it quizzical that Musk would be chasing Twitter for billions $$$$ when he could potentially buy another media outlet, like CNN or even the New York Times, for substantially less. Seems that would provide greater bang for the buck, assuming that you are really interested in turning fake (Democratic propaganda) news into a legitimate news outlet.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Watching liberals losing their minds over a fake takeover would be the next best thing. Even if Elon is just in it to manipulate the stock the shockwaves have liberals scrambling for the nearest safe spaces, that's awesomeness on another level!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Musk is as showman disrupter, he has achieved that objective by provoking the left and the financial community to react. Musk can now sell his shares for a profit.

I'm no investment attorney expert or anything, but I'm not sure he could get away with doing that. There is the term "market making".
Kind of like when 1000 blogs tell everyone to buy a penny stock because it's going to go up, but actually, it was never going up except for all the people buying the stock who thought it was going to go up that made it go up, then it gets dumped at a time of the original schemer's choosing.

I highly doubt Musk will just quickly unload those now-more-valuable shares anytime soon, it would subject him to a LOT of regulatory scrutiny for making a quick billion by playing that game.. Heck, he can hardly even tweet without the government slapping his wrist if his tweets have anything to do with Tesla stock.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What a great idea Steve. Maybe Musk will make an offer for the NYT:) AND CNN. CNN was my background noise while I made supper until they fired Lou Dobbs about 15 years ago.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@Isaac: We do not know what Musk is doing behind the scenes. Musk as a disrupter, does not adhere to normal rules and has been exposed as skirting financial laws. Moreover, the Biden administration is into prosecuting persecuting political opponents. Musk falls into that category. Biden is a marionette for the "left", so Musk will be under inappropriate investigation.
There is the term "market making".
To be a "market maker", Musk would have to be offering the service of (simultaneously) both buying and selling Twitter stock (acting as a broker). I doubt Musk is doing that.

Kind of like when 1000 blogs tell everyone to buy a penny stock because it's going to go up, but actually, it was never going up except for all the people buying the stock who thought it was going to go up that made it go up, then it gets dumped at a time of the original schemer's choosing.
This is "pump and dump".

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A new twist, playing 3D chess, I just became aware of Jonathan Turley's insightful remarks concerning Musk's attempt to buy Twitter. Turley notes that Musk has placed the Twitter board in a difficult legal spot. "Shareholders may allege a breach of the ‘duty of loyalty’ if board to stands in the way of profits."

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Ever notice that democrats complain about Elon Musk trying to buy Twitter,
but have nothing to say as Bill Gates purchases hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland across 19 states?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Ever notice that democrats complain about Elon Musk trying to buy Twitter,
but have nothing to say as Bill Gates purchases hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland across 19 states?
Going beyond that, the purchase of the Washington Post, by Jeff Bezos. Bloomberg owning Bloomberg News. Gate's also is troublesome from the perspective that he wants to impose his (eating) lifestyle on everyone else. This may seem laughable, but a while back in the United Kingdom: U.K.: “Pizzas must shrink or lose their toppings under Government anti-obesity plan”. Furthermore, the passage of the Affordable Care Act in the US has opened the door to the government requiring that "for your health", the government may impose regulations.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Musk's reasons for delving into Twitter are opaque. Of course Musk will proclaim a higher over arching principle such as protecting "free speech". But it has also created a fire-storm where other participants and the Twitter corporate board itself have entered the fray.

Before going any further, need to open the time-capsule and delve back into Bill Ackman vs. Carl Icahn over Herbalife. "The Herbalife saga was also famous for the public feud between Carl Icahn, the founder of Icahn Enterprises, and Ackman. ... The feud’s height was an on-air public verbal brawl in which the two investing titans exchanged insults." Obviously Herbalife and Twitter are two totally different companies.
My focus here is the clash of (financial) heavy weights dooking it out for control of a company. Musk has started the brawl. But why?

Enter whataboutism. Now that Musk has effectively driven-up the stock price of Twitter and those opposed to Musk's proposed takeover of the company have started to act protect Twitter, my realpolitik response would be to now dump Twitter and laugh all the way to the bank while screaming to those on the left "Suckers, I took you for $$$$". But then I'm not Musk and Musk may have some ego driven reasons for pursuing Twitter even if it does not make much self-serving business sense. Proposing to buy twitter stock at $54.20 when it's current price is hovering around $48.925 makes little financial sense. Musk, may well believe that his offer, even if its expensive is well worth it to protect "free speech".

In the meantime we watch this circus play-out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addendum: Below is the money Musk is willing to buy Twitter for ($43B). The story below that story is the apparent value of the New York Times based on the outstanding shares as of April 22, 2022 which is $6.97B. Seems that Musk would get a better buy-out by acquiring the Times. However, there is the caveat that simply buying shares to gain control of a company may not be as simple as it looks.
As of April 2022 Twitter has a market cap of $37.36 Billion.

Last edited:

JonXL

Local time
Today, 12:11
Twitter have accepted Elon's bid. Welcome to free speach! Think Trump will be back? I do!
If what Musk promises is true, it does seem good for free speech (disclaimer: I don't have a Twitter).

As to Trump, I think he's said he wants nothing to do with Twitter. But he may well change his mind if given the chance. On the other hand, he does risk abandoning his other platform and then having nowhere to go if Musk's "free speech absolutis(m)" turns out less absolute than he promised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom