Two Guys marry in Antarctica... (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:26
Nothing wrong with that at all. But strangely, the picture:-

provoked some questions deep in the whirling cogs of my strange mind.

The man on the right in the kilt, is the kilt symbolic of a dress? Is he emphasising that he is the feminine part of this marriage?

That begs the question are there male/female analogs in a gay marriage?

Then worst is to come! I imagine myself in a gay marriage, would I be the male or the female? And more troubling is my answer, the fact that my mind produced an answer! I would be the female and that thought is really really messing with my head!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 13:26
That begs the question are there male/female analogs in a gay marriage?
Yes, but with limitations. I have a friend who is a lesbian and we spent a lot of time together when I was in Spain as a geo-bachelor. Going with social constructs, the male is the dominant partner even though we all know that is not the case for some. In my own marriage, I often defer to my wife unless it is absolutly something I disagree with. To date, I have only "put my foot down" 3 times in the 10 years we have been married.

Anyway...

Calling a lesbian the "male" or "bull" in the relationship is not popular for obvious reasons so they have adopted the word "Top" to signify the dominant person in the relationship. I asked her if that was derived from the traditional missionary position males take and she said yes. When I hinted that this plays into the very social construct she was avoiding, she told me to shut up and drink my beer...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:26
When I hinted that this plays into the very social construct she was avoiding, she

I've heard the terms top and bottom... Bottom always conjures up a peculiar image in my mind when I think of a gay couple.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:26
Married gays do, in fact, often identify as the "wife" & "husband" of a same-sex pairing. Has to do with the household and romantic roles they assume. I've known several such pairings. It is quite rare to have a completely co-equal pairing. One is usually the more dominant member of the relationship and assumes the "husband" role. The more submissive partner assumes the "wife" role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom