UK vs USA BBQ (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:55
Not too bad, actually? For a city that has or had some of the most highly awarded chefs in the USA, with a large number of James Beard award winners, the food here is top notch. (Which is probably a contributor to my weight problem...)

OK, people often want to eat only the kind of food they ate as kids. I get that. But for adventurous eaters, New Orleans is like Mecca to a Muslim.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:55
Not too bad, actually? For a city that has or had some of the most highly awarded chefs in the USA, with a large number of James Beard award winners, the food here is top notch. (Which is probably a contributor to my weight problem...)

OK, people often want to eat only the kind of food they ate as kids. I get that. But for adventurous eaters, New Orleans is like Mecca to a Muslim.
I've discovered that I'm somewhere in between. For "new" that means, new ways of preparing the same 'base' foods (things that are really Standard), I greatly enjoy trying new places and new dishes. And I am good with some small % of totally 'new' things thrown in. So New Orleans cuisine I would probably enjoy trying out. Also I like trying many kinds of fish - but not necessarily many kinds of non-fish seafood.

But for foods that are truly completely new to me, like the time I tried octopus, or all of the many parts of the cow that some latin countries consume, I've found I'm less tolerant of. For the sake of my own health (including just avoiding major disruption, even if it wouldn't damage me), I like to stick with foods that are made out of a base item which my body is familiar with. I love eating, but I hate getting the Big D at a host's house.

Telling people "I eat anything" works fine for me in the context of an American asking me where I want to eat dinner.
Less so when I'm in Mexico....where I actually have to go thru the awkward process of declining to eat parts of the cow I'd just rather not know about.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To quote that great American film philosopher, Dirty Harry - "A man's got to know his limitations." Turns out that even applies to food!

These days I can handle bland, peppery, sweet, bitter, and sour. Can't handle oily because I no longer have a gall bladder. So when I'm about to sample something new, I ask about its oil content. Which is why I can't handle hummus any more, and why deep-fat-fried is questionable unless well drained.

If you know what KIND of thing sets you off, you are pretty safe in New Orleans and most of the wait staff in the better establishments will know which dishes are oily - or spicy - or whatever gives you issues. They would LOVE to sell you something else that you will enjoy, 'cause of course they get a bigger tip for being helpful.

conception_native_0123

Local time
If you know what KIND of thing sets you off, you are pretty safe in New Orleans and most of the wait staff in the better establishments will know which dishes are oily - or spicy - or whatever gives you issues
then you should be just fine doc man!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
London Broil anyone..

20210729_175335.jpg

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I don't know about other areas but where I live meat is getting scarce and pricey if you can find it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem here, if you are willing to find some alligator tail. Or heck, we have an infusion of ducks in our neighborhood, which is maybe three blocks from Lake Ponchartrain, where lots of ponds provide breeding grounds and food. We've seen three different clutches of baby ducks, from 8 to over a dozen ducks per clutch, in the last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom