United States Senate (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 04:59
I realize that some will want to revert this thread to Republican and Democrats, us verse them, but truly I don’t care what side is doing it, do you think the United States Senate should be used to say political statement against their opponent candidate in the presidential elections. They can’t seem to get their work done as it is.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 01:59
The senate as a body, does not endorse candidates. It is a 2 party system, and as bad as it is, I still think it's pretty good.
I guess it would be great if everybody shared their toys and never said anything unless they could say something nice, but it's kind of a last man standing kind of deal, and I think that's how it's pretty much been, since the beginning.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 19:59
A question from a non American.

What is different in the way you vote for a Senator as opposed to Congressman.

I think that these are your two houses aren't they.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Both houses are now elected by popular vote. Senators are elected for a term of six years, two per state. From Wikipedia: "Before the passage of the Seventeenth Amendment, senators were elected by the individual state legislatures." United States Senate

Those elected to the House are elected for a period of two years. The number of representatives each state gets is based on the State's relative (%) population to the entire US population.
United States House of Representatives

Last edited:

RainLover

Local time
Thanks Steve.

That is very similar to what we have.

The big difference is that you elect the President where we don't. Our Prime Minister is elected by the controlling party of the Lower House.

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:59
Thanks Steve.

That is very similar to what we have.

The big difference is that you elect the President where we don't. Our Prime Minister is elected by the controlling party of the Lower House.
Your system may be modeled after Great Britain. It is the Parliamentary system. Do you have to put up with 'no confidence motion' raised by the opposition? USA does not not have that kind of issues. Each system has its pluses and minuses.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It is NOT a two party system. I am so sick of hearing this and of both of these parties. People need to wake up and realize you have a choice that doesn't just include corporate puppets like the Dems and Pubs.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
It is NOT a two party system. I am so sick of hearing this and of both of these parties. People need to wake up and realize you have a choice that doesn't just include corporate puppets like the Dems and Pubs.
Jax,
I know what you mean. Some times it is hard to tell the difference between either party, but what other choice do we have?

RainLover

Local time
I know what you mean. Some times it is hard to tell the difference between either party, but what other choice do we have?

Surely you have some more movie stars left.

Why not get that Ellen girl to become your first female President. :eek:

Vassago

Local time
Jax,

There are other parties and more people running independent than in the past. Gary Johnson is also a presidential candidate with a lot of ideals I believe in.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
There are other parties and more people running independent than in the past. Gary Johnson is also a presidential candidate with a lot of ideals I believe in.
Unfortunately, the media refuses to give third parties equal exposure. Will Gary Johnson even be invited to the presidential debates?

Vassago

Local time
Unfortunately, the media refuses to give third parties equal exposure. Will Gary Johnson even be invited to the presidential debates?

If he can reach 15% in the polls. The major news networks stopped talking about him when he reached 13% from 9% in one month. He's gaining popularity. If he chose Ron Park as a running mate, things would heat up.

Adam Caramon

Local time
If he can reach 15% in the polls. The major news networks stopped talking about him when he reached 13% from 9% in one month. He's gaining popularity. If he chose Ron Park as a running mate, things would heat up.

It would be interesting to see Gary Johnson in the debates. I think he'd really hammer away at Republican support, which I wouldn't mind one bit.

I think if the traditional republicans switched to Libertarians, we'd have a better choice between D & R. As it is right now, I could never vote R do to their religious/moral insanity. I could possibly be tempted to vote Libertarian.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:59

Steve already answered this, but I wanted to clarify that the original intent (IMHO) was that the Senators, being sent by the states themselves rather than by the people, were supposed to protect state rights. The change to popular elections was a big mistake in my view, and contributed to the huge consolidation of power at the federal level we have today. The Constitution was designed to prevent this, and keep most power at the state level.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
It would be interesting to see Gary Johnson in the debates. I think he'd really hammer away at Republican support, which I wouldn't mind one bit.

I think if the traditional republicans switched to Libertarians, we'd have a better choice between D & R. As it is right now, I could never vote R do to their religious/moral insanity. I could possibly be tempted to vote Libertarian.
P

Adam,
How did I guess that you are not a Rep....

Now don't get upet, we all don't have to think alike!!!!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

Well adam, you get two votes, as a vote forJohnson is a vote for BHO. then it would matter much as we won't have a country worth living in anyways.

Vassago

Local time
That's another line full of rhetoric I'm tired of hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom