Up For Something Different? Access and PowerApps -- A Simple Workflow Demo (1 Viewer)

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 00:03
Quite well, for the most part. Except for the five minutes when the translator lost his connection and I had to wing it on my own in Spanish....:)

No one laughed at me, so I consider that a win.

Actually, it went way longer than I anticipated. For a simple, two-screen PowerApps application, there was a lot to cover.
And I came away with some ideas to improve it, which I'm implementing this morning.

Basically, the goal is not to replicate the Access application entirely, but only to move the data-entry function from the Access application to the mobile environment, leaving the heavy-duty analysis and reporting function in Access, where they belong. It's getting closer to that.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:03
Hi George
I remembered it half way through & when I joined you were speaking Spanish with no translator! You seemed fairly fluent to me!
Sadly I couldn't understand a word & left again

Was it similar content to the session you did for AEU in Nov?

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 00:03
Yes, and no. It is a much simpler application. Two screens and three or four tables. I scaled back my ambitions a bit.

The soap box I'm on is that "mobile apps" make sense only to the extent that they allow an organization to move, not duplicate, certain functions away from the stationary desktop into a mobile environment. If the same task can be done either way, it's probably not cost-effective to "webify" it, or move it to the cloud, just for the sake of being in the cloud. If the task can be done better, more efficiently, or just plain uniquely, in the mobile environment, then the investment is worthwhile.

The example I used is a shopping list. I got the idea, in part, from the local grocery where I shop. I see employees with phones in their hands, walking around filling customer orders from a list on the phone. Customers order online, their orders are exposed in the phone app employees use, and the customers pick up the completed order when they get a text it is ready. I figured, I can do that too. Hence the PA Shopping List. To justify it, though, functionally, it would have to replace or reduce work I would normally do on the desktop. in Access. It does that, marginally, but it does illustrate the point. I moved the data input from my desk in my office to the phone, walking around putting things in my shopping cart in the store. When I get home, Access has the completed list displayed in a form. If I were not already tracking expenditures that way, it would be pointless, of course.

At some point, I hope to be able to incorporate the camera and get scans of product codes to do the lookup of brands, etc. No more typing on a tiny phone screen. Now that, would be awesome reduction of data entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom