Updating form after changing some fields in the table (1 Viewer)

althaherm

Local time
Today, 17:38
Hi all,

Kindly is there a simple way to Autoupdate the form X that is created based on table X after changing some fields in table X? because now each time I do some changes in table X I go to the form X and delete the old field and reenter it again especially when I change the data type?

Thanks alot.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:38
Depends on the change you're making. Why do you have to delete the field from the Form? Are you adding the same one?

althaherm

Local time
Depends on the change you're making. Why do you have to delete the field from the Form? Are you adding the same one?
Dear TheDBguy,
i have a field in the table with data type as short txt, I created a form based on the table, later I changed that field from txt to dropdown list, now when I open the form I don't have that new dropdown list. so how can I update the form to get the dropdown list without the need to delete the field in the form and reinsert it again?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Dear TheDBguy,
i have a field in the table with data type as short txt, I created a form based on the table, later I changed that field from txt to dropdown list, now when I open the form I don't have that new dropdown list. so how can I update the form to get the dropdown list without the need to delete the field in the form and reinsert it again?
Okay, first of all, I wouldn't recommend using a dropdown list in the table; and second, to see the combo in the form, simply change the textbox to a dropdown and add the same properties you added to the table.

althaherm

Local time
Okay, first of all, I wouldn't recommend using a dropdown list in the table; and second, to see the combo in the form, simply change the textbox to a dropdown and add the same properties you added to the table.
Thank you.
I was thinking that it might be a way that access can do it automatically (Changing the table fields Atoumaticly Changing the Forms fields).

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you.
I was thinking that it might be a way that access can do it automatically (Changing the table fields Atoumaticly Changing the Forms fields).
Yes, like I said initially, it depends on what changes you were making in the table. If you merely changed the data type, there's nothing you need to do in the forms to update it.

althaherm

Local time
Yes, like I said initially, it depends on what changes you were making in the table. If you merely changed the data type, there's nothing you need to do in the forms to update it.
Attached is the table that I am working with, you mentioned that you don't advise using a dropdown list, but maybe you can see in the table that it will be much easier to use the dropdown list specially for the (Control measures, Risks, Hazards, ActionBy), those fields are repeated and it will keep coming in each new record.

also if you have any advice on how to create a form from this table because I did create a form and it was huge when I entered the data. i need all the information to be in one form so anyone can link and understand how and what.

best regards and thanks for your patience and kindness

Attachments

• Database4.accdb
    640 KB · Views: 96

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:38
If you are having to constantly change your forms due to table changes, you haven't spent enough time designing your schema. Get the schema right BEFORE you start building other objects.

I don't see anything "huge" about the table you posted. What are you expecting from us? Are you expecting someone to do your work for you? Try the wizard. It will build a form. You can then move controls around to make it prettier.

althaherm

Local time
If you are having to constantly change your forms due to table changes, you haven't spent enough time designing your schema. Get the schema right BEFORE you start building other objects.

I don't see anything "huge" about the table you posted. What are you expecting from us? Are you expecting someone to do your work for you? Try the wizard. It will build a form. You can then move controls around to make it prettier.
Thank you, but No I am not expecting you or anyone to do my work for me. I was only asking for advice.

Best Regards

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
...you mentioned that you don't advise using a dropdown list, but maybe you can see in the table that it will be much easier to use the dropdown list specially for the (Control measures, Risks, Hazards, ActionBy), those fields are repeated and it will keep coming in each new record.
Hi. Have a look at this website to see why I said that. You can still make it easier on your users by using a dropdown on the form, instead of the table, which is what is actually recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom