Updating one column of data across many records (1 Viewer)

ComradeGrumbles

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:19
Hi, I'm new to the forums and have a question. I looked around and found some similar questions, but couldn't quite grasp how to utilize them for my issue. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a database containing 10,000+ trouble tickets identified by a unique field called "Ticket ID". This is the primary key for my table. (It's on just one table.) These tickets came from an excel sheet that was exported out of a different database. (For various reasons, we've moved the tickets to access.)

Among many descriptor fields, I have a field called "SPR Type" that shows what type of ticket each entry is. (Bug, Defect, Enhancement, etc, etc) The problem we have here is... not all of the ticket entries have an SPR Type listed on my access table because not all of the tickets coming out of the original excel sheet had one.

Now comes the part I need help with. I was given a new excel sheet containing 400 to 500 ish Ticket IDs and the SPR Type that applies to each of those tickets. How can I take that sheet and use it to update my access table? Ie. Use the excel sheet containing Ticket ID and SPR Type to populate the blank SPR Type fields for each of their respective Ticket IDs?

**Update: I'm trying something like this...

UPDATE [SPR Priority] inner join [EB Update of SPR] on [SPR Priority.Ticket ID] = [EB Update of SPR.Ticket ID]
SET [SPR Priority.SPR Type] = [EB Update of SPR.SPR Type]

But I am getting an error that says "Invalid Bracketing of name [SPR Priority.Ticket ID] and similar errors. What am I getting wrong here?

Let me know if you need more information, I'm happy to provide what I can. I'm stumped on this.

PS: I thought about an Update query that would populate the SPR Type fields based on Ticket IDs. I could import the new excel sheet into a separate access table and update from there. Problem is, I don't know enough to say if this would work or not...

Last edited:

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 07:19
You need to bracket the table and the field:

[EB Update of SPR].[Ticket ID]

Additionally, I would suggest removing all spaces in your table and field names (i.e. Ticket_ID). It just makes writing queries and codes easier--you wouldn't need brackets at all if you didn't have the spaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom