upgrading a standalone database (1 Viewer)

Access_Help

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:56
Hello.

I have a standalone database that is being used by multiple users (it is not a split database as it does not run over a network) and each user have their own copy on their laptops

My question is, If I upgrade or add a feature to the interface, how can it reach the users?

Also, if the database crashes or the user loses the database, how can the user recover the data?

Does it need to be split even as a standalone product?

I don't want to complicate the users with the linking of tables etc so it's best it stays as one combined file

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
If it is a standalone database with multiple copies, that means that everyone has their own separate data and they don't share the data. Your question about upgrading reveals the first big cost of this implementation choice - the multiplication of work caused by the multiplication of upgrade needs. While it might be trickier to manage the conversion, the use of a split and distributed database with a common network back-end file would have completely alleviated this problem, since in that case we have several solutions to nearly completely automate the update process for a "pure" front-end file.

In the configuration that you have, I don't see a choice that doesn't involve visiting each user and manually upgrading by hand. The easiest way to do that would be to make a copy of your updated DB visible to the other users. If this means "network" then fine. If it means burning a CD or storing it on a thumb drive, so be it. At each user's workstation, make the updated DB visible and then open THEIR copy of the DB. From their DB, import the new modules, macros, reports, forms, and queries. HOWEVER, you cannot import tables since doing so would erase their data. So that means you have to have a working list of table adjustments to be done by hand.

This is the price you pay for not using a split, distributed DB with shared back-end.

The question about backups is that you have to educate the users on how to use the DB BACKUP option from the FILE tab of the ribbon.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Yes, it is still recommended to split the database, even for single users, to at least facilitate updating the interface with minimum effect to the user's data. There are plenty of available solutions to avoid the "relinking" issue you mentioned. The user will simply open the new interface and it magically connects to their data.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
You've pretty much answered your own questions.
Yes - split the database.
Yes - begin creating a distribution / updating method.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 19:56
I'd love to know....
How do you merge the data from all those databases to get the true picture?

That has to be a bigger headache that updating an FE once in a while, surely?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
couple links to get you started on the FE updater thing

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 19:56
I used Bob Larsen's code in a few of my DBs when I was working. Search here for the name.
Others opt to just copy the FE each time it is opened, via a shortcut.

Access_Help

Registered User.
Local time
Fantastic, thank you everyone, I think a split database is the way to go forward, easier to upgrade the FE without any complications and allows user to share it with other users on a network. I will look through the links suggested for that.

My next question is, if I add an extra field or table on the BE, how do I send that to the user as their data is private and password protected so how do I export the change to their copy?

Also, any links on how I can automatically link the BE/FE if it is in the same directory using relative addressing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom