Upgrading from 2003 to 2019 (1 Viewer)

RKWM

Local time
Today, 05:36
I have finally had to break down and convert my 2003 Access database to the 2019 format. I AM MISERABLE.

What I need most help with right now is my custom toolbars for many of my reports. The database and it's macros were designed such that for certain reports one could open them, review them, choose to print them or chose to close them returning to the form that initiated the report to make corrections.

This was done by these types of reports having their own unique toolbars that included only the print and close buttons. The print button did nothing besides print the one report requested.

The close button, closed the report, opened the form that made the report, returned to the record the report was displaying.

The "Tab" for the custom toolbars is a disaster waiting to happen for those using the database.

Can anyone explain to me how I can make this workable in the 2019 Access? Thanks!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Not sure if this is what you want to hear, but the new way of creating custom menus is through custom ribbons. I think you can still continue to use your old custom toolbars, but they’ll still show in the ribbon, under the add ins tab. Another possibility is to create custom right click menus instead.

RKWM

Local time
Hi. Not sure if this is what you want to hear, but the new way of creating custom menus is through custom ribbons. I think you can still continue to use your old custom toolbars, but they’ll still show in the ribbon, under the add ins tab. Another possibility is to create custom right click menus instead.

Custom ribbons? Will they let you define actions on close? What I need to be able to do is to return to the form in the record that was appearing in the report.

Are there people that can be hired to fix problems with Access?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:36
You might be a bit relieved to know that you can put your menu bar on the ribbon and hide most of the ribbon as long as your menu is robust enough for what users need. See image. I can't recall if I didn't know how to hide quick access bar or didn't bother or what - it's an old db. It's not obvious in pic but QA bar is there. Note that Admin is disabled because I didn't log in.

Attachments

• expediterTbar1.jpg
    expediterTbar1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 104

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Custom ribbons? Will they let you define actions on close? What I need to be able to do is to return to the form in the record that was appearing in the report.

Are there people that can be hired to fix problems with Access?

Yes, basically, the old way of creating custom toolbars, like what you had for your report, is now done mostly with custom ribbons. Anything you can do with code, you can do with the ribbons. What sorts of problems you need to fix? Many of us here are available as private consultants. You can contact me via email if you want to see if I could help you (address is in my profile or website).

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:36
it doesn't sound like you need a custom ribbon to do what you're saying you want. Code on report close should be displaying form with the desired record.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:36
If yo open a report in print preview mode there is a built in ribbon that contains all the functionality needed for printing and a close button.
Suggest you look at that before you start creating something new

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:36
Why don't you just continue to use A2003. You can get at the original 2003 toolbars from the add-ins menu on the ribbon?

You do not need to convert the database. (I am not sure but the toolbars MAY still be there in add-ins even if you convert to an accdb.)

Note that CTRL-F1 toggles the ribbon size

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom