Upside Down World (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:59
Great clip of Biden blaming his predecessor for the crisis at the border, even liberals at NBC can't follow along.
There is another prong to this. One of the commentary fallouts of Biden's recent speech to Congress. Biden is taking credit for HIS leadership in addressing the Covid pandemic here in the US. Totally dissing the contribution made by the Trump administration in getting the "ball rolling".

So the border crisis was created by the Trump administration, but the Biden administration is claiming credit for solving Covid. An "Upside Down World".

New Orwellian Newspeak terminology concerning the illegal immigration. It is not a "crises" but an "urgent situation".

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
There is another societal model that holds insight in what is happening in the US today. That is Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. In terms of the Tyler Cycle, I would say that the US is passing through the "Abundance", "Selfishness", and "Complacency" phases. In terms, of Maslow, we have "solved" our "basic" needs and the "psychological". So we are in the "esteem needs" and "self-fulfillment needs" levels. Overt examples of this include "virtue signalling", "social justice", "equity" instead of "equality", promoting a "green" economy over economic practices that many would consider to cause environmental damage (coal fired power plants), the "war" against global warming and the like.

The quick summary, since we are now "fat" and "happy" we can now viciously and sanctimoniously argue about trivial things that people, as short as 150 years ago would consider to be ridiculous. This is why many projects that were quickly constructed many years ago are now mired in lawsuit after lawsuit today. We are paralyzed into inaction.

1619872269562.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:59
Ah, thanks @Steve R. - its good to know that someone else appreciates and understands the work of Herbert Maslow. I have used his pyramid in arguments here (and elsewhere) for years, frequently getting blank stares.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:59
why? not understood?

I usually try to be polite at that point and thus avoid asking what would quickly become an embarrassing question - but yes, I believe some folks fail to understand the hierarchy of motivation represented in the Maslow pyramid.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:59
This was part of my psychology module at university, where I did business studies. The simple pyramid is a great mental model and explains a lot.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Ah, thanks @Steve R. - its good to know that someone else appreciates and understands the work of Herbert Maslow. I have used his pyramid in arguments here (and elsewhere) for years, frequently getting blank stares.
You reminded me of two additional societal themes that apply today. One which we previously exchanged thoughts on was that of: Frederick Jackson Turner and the closing of the American West. In short, the US (actually the world) is now "full". Those people who don't fit into society now have nowhere to go since the frontier no longer exists as it is now "civilized", the disaffected can't escape into the (lawless) wilderness. Consequently, society has to take care of them (welfare state?). To make a brief superficial analogy, if the US was not "full" and there was an empty vastness with no government, those desiring to make a new society (by looting, burning, protesting) could emigrate into the wilderness to create their own utopia.

In the other example, when I was in college circa 1968, one of my sociology professors covered the implication of mass society on government structure. Since being out of college, I haven't heard much concerning this (this theme may not be dead.) Probably considered an "inconvenient truth" to be disappeared. Essentially this theory holds that the more people you have (in urban areas) the bigger government must be to manage society. It was a very interesting course.

What is also interesting to speculate on. What we are witnessing today (besides the reemergence of McCarthyism), follows a parallel patern with the protests of the 1960s. In those 1960 protests the Vietnam era soldiers were designated as "baby killers" (1960s). Today, the police have been substituted as the target by the left. The police (2021) now being declared thugs who systematically target Black males for death. Unfortunately, the radicals of today seem to have been more succesful at upending society than the radicals of the 1960s.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:59
Partly because of this, is why Happiness Psychologists - an area of psychology rapidly emerging over the last 20-40 years - have found out some interesting study results. Money did help to bring happiness, up to somewhere around the $70,000 mark. Beyond that, additional sums of money had very little predictive ability to self-rated happiness. The reason? Because the additional influx of money, starting at none and going up to somewhere around $70k for USA respondents, strongly influenced the ability to meet basic needs.

Beyond having met those - you have to transcend money to get to the fulfilled, meaningful life. Interesting stuff!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:59
The $70k number is interesting. I just looked up the median income in 2020-19 I've seen numbers between $68k to $78. So if I were to place an emotional value based on money, I would need at least a 1/3 more. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom