Urgent help required - how to count non-duplicated records on reports? (1 Viewer)

Gram123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:05
Hi.
I am in desparate need of help a.s.a.p.

I'm currently programming a database at work and have come across one of those frustrating Access stumbling blocks.
My database is basically monitoring damage to vehicles. Each vehicle has a unique Chassis Number, and some of these have multiple distinct damages, for which we must claim.
I've been told by head office that the database must have a new record for each instance of damage, so effectively a chassis number is repeated (in the main table and report queries) as many times as there is instances of separate damage.

On the reports (about 10 different ones), I need to include a count of vehicles, but this doesn't give me an accurate result. Say I have 10 vehicles, but 2 of them have 2 areas of damage each, the Chassis count value would be 12, but I need this to give me 10.
In other words, how do I only count each different chassis number only once?

I tried using the Hide Duplicates property, which is useful in itself, but the count is unaffected.
I also tried grouping the vehicles by chassis number, so that each chassis is a group header and only appears once on the report, but again the count counts all records, not all differing chassis numbers.

There must be a simple way to do this, but I don't know an awful lot about expressions and even less about VB.

Please help me! This is like the final hurdle - the rest of the database is very simple queries and report design stuff, but this stupid count is driving me mad.

I'll check back here at 10.30pm tonight for replies, if you don't read this til later than that, please could you e-mail me at work with any information by tomorrow afternoon?
Any help is greatly appreciated, and this web site is one of the reasons we are getting internet access at work!

My work e-mail is Graham.CAT@hslltd.co.uk

Thanks,
-Gram-

R

Rich

You were already on track with grouping by chassis no in the group header or footer just add a hidden text box with the control source set to =1 simply sum that number in the report footer.
HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom