US Presidential Election Countdown Closing (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:10
Is this a surprise? If the dems had lost they'd be doing the same...:confused:
Not really. Both the "victor" and "loser" of any event need to review what transpired to learn how to do better.

KenHigg

Local time
They definitely need to. As was mentioned during the coverage last night, a party cannot survive into the future relying solely on white males. What they really need to do is cast off some of their oldest members, embrace the small group of young people that identify as Republicans, and build a platform around them that encourages diversity and outside ideas.

While I agree with your suggestion about rebuilding the platform (the dems need to do the same!) the other parts of this like the white male thing and diversity and outside ideas speaks volumes about you.

Would you mind sharing your age and race. And before you get all touchy, remember you are the one that played the race/gender thing into the discussion...

Adam Caramon

Local time
While I agree with your suggestion about rebuilding the platform (the dems need to do the same!) the other parts of this like the white male thing and diversity and outside ideas speaks volumes about you.

If it speak volumes, please enlighten me.

Would you mind sharing your age and race. And before you get all touchy, remember you are the one that played the race/gender thing into the discussion...

Why do you assume I will get all touchy? I have no problem sharing this information, but before I do, I'd like to hear what insights you've garnered from my above statement (the volumes it speaks about me).

KenHigg

Local time
I doubt you want to hear me for enlightenments sake, being I'm an old white man ;)

Lets just say you're painting a pretty good picture of why you think you'd be an expert political party reformer.

And seems if you have to barter, you do have a problem sharing :confused:

Adam Caramon

Local time
I doubt you want to hear me for enlightenments sake, being I'm an old white man ;)

Sure I do. You stated that a comment of mine told you volumes about me. I'm curious what those volumes are.

Lets just say you're painting a pretty good picture of why you think you'd be an expert political party reformer.

And seems if you have to barter, you do have a problem sharing :confused:

You initiated a statement, saying that a comment of mine spoke volumes about me. You then ask me to reveal my age/race. I'm happy to answer the question, but would like to hear the volumes you have already come up with. The information that you have already inferred is clearly not contingent upon what I would reveal, otherwise you wouldn't be able to make a statement such as you did.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 08:10
Well, thank whatever god that it's all over.

Why do Americans insist on going OTT over a stupid election nobody cares about?
There was these women on TV who were screaming and crying saying they were so "eggzided" about Obama getting in, multiply that by the thousands of others exclaiming its the best thing ever - it all adds up to millions of Americans who need to get a real life.

Obama will do nothing again for four years as before, but he's just marginally better than having a religious freak Mormon in charge.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Well, thank whatever god that it's all over.

Why do Americans insist on going OTT over a stupid election nobody cares about?
There was these women on TV who were screaming and crying saying they were so "eggzided" about Obama getting in, multiply that by the thousands of others exclaiming its the best thing ever - it all adds up to millions of Americans who need to get a real life.

Obama will do nothing again for four years as before, but he's just marginally better than having a religious freak Mormon in charge.

Col

You obviously care enough to post about it. ;)

KenHigg

Local time
Sure I do. You stated that a comment of mine told you volumes about me. I'm curious what those volumes are.

You don't seem to have any constructive interest Adam. By your own admission any one that happens to be old white and male has no relevance in America, or did I read that wrong?

Last edited:

Adam Caramon

Local time
You don't seem any constructive interest Adam. By your own admission any one that happens to be old white and male has no relevance in America, or did I read that wrong?

You did read that wrong. I stated:

Adam Caramon said:
They definitely need to. As was mentioned during the coverage last night, a party cannot survive into the future relying solely on white males. What they really need to do is cast off some of their oldest members, embrace the small group of young people that identify as Republicans, and build a platform around them that encourages diversity and outside ideas.

I'm not sure how you made the connection between "a party cannot survive into the future relying solely on white males"

and

"By your own admission any one that happens to be old white and male has no relevance in America"?

This is another example of a straw man argument. No where did I state that old white males have no relevance in America.

KenHigg

Local time
So who do think should be 'cast off'?

And please, enough with the straw man thing, try to stay on topic.

Adam Caramon

Local time
So who do think should be 'cast off'?

In order for the GOP to be competitive in the future, it has to embrace the views of its younger members (which is more inline with mainstream America). As an example, younger republicans tend to not be as against gay marriage equality as their older counterparts. Younger republicans tend to not be as strongly connected to their religion as their older counterparts. Younger republicans are more likely to favor a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants than their older counterparts.

In order to be competitive, they're going to have to address these issues. If the main body of the GOP is able to moderate its positions to an extent, but there are still some congressmen/governors/party figureheads who refuse to move towards the middle, they have to be cast off.

And please, enough with the straw man thing, try to stay on topic.

Pointing out a logical fallacy actually helps to keep the conversation on topic.

KenHigg

Local time
In order for the GOP to be competitive in the future, it has to embrace the views of its younger members (which is more inline with mainstream America). As an example, younger republicans tend to not be as against gay marriage equality as their older counterparts. Younger republicans tend to not be as strongly connected to their religion as their older counterparts. Younger republicans are more likely to favor a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants than their older counterparts.

In order to be competitive, they're going to have to address these issues. If the main body of the GOP is able to moderate its positions to an extent, but there are still some congressmen/governors/party figureheads who refuse to move towards the middle, they have to be cast off.

Pointing out a logical fallacy actually helps to keep the conversation on topic.

Sorry, the only way I can read this is old white guys who think its wrong for two men to play with each other, who have strong religous values and don't want to have one set of rules for us and another for illegal mexicans, have to go...

fyi: Romney didn't loose because of those issues, he lost because americans saw him as a set-up, bumbling idiot, pretty boy rich guy looking out for the rich like w, which he probably is. Gays, religion and illegals were liability topics for both sides...

Adam Caramon

Local time
Sorry, the only way I can read this is old white guys who think its wrong for two men to play with each other, who have strong religous values and don't want to have one set of rules for us and another for illegal mexicans, have to go...

You're free to look at it how you wish, but that is not what I am stating.

fyi: Romney didn't loose because of those issues, he lost because americans saw him as a set-up, bumbling idiot, pretty boy rich guy looking out for the rich like w, which he probably is. Gays, religion and illegals were liability topics for both sides...

And what do you base this on? The "rich guy" issue definitely had an effect, but most of the coverage that I have seen has featured both Democrats and Republicans stating that if the Republicans cannot do better with the Latino community, they'll have no chance in the future.

The Latino population in the USA continues to rise, and there is no doubt that immigration is a critical issue to the Latino community.

As far as gays and religion, I imagine there are many people who would feel right at home in the Republican party if the Republicans were more tolerant of the LGBT community & those of other faiths (or no faith).

The Republicans don't have to change, they can continue on business as usual, but if they do so they should not be surprised when they continue to lose elections.

KenHigg

Local time
I need to call a truce on this one Adam, I'm spending way to much time around here. You win. Your guy won. I hope he does good and I'll try to support him. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom