USA Independence Day (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:52
Today is a holiday - or at least it used to be one - that everyone in the USA could consider as pretty much universal.

With the various anarchistic movements in our country today, I wonder how many more of these observances we can have.

Too many people on BOTH sides of the BLM movement are entrenched in the idea that they shouldn't have to change because someone else is the problem. I wish I could say that it is an "all white" problem ... OR and "all black" problem. But that cannot be said.

I sincerely hope (and there is NO ulterior motive behind this statement) that the protesters get the mild version of corona virus and learn that to disease, NO lives matter. It's all perspective. And too many people don't seem to have any.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:52
Well said Doc.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:52
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the talking heads criticizing Trump for going to Mount Rushmore. They are calling him a white supremacist. And accusing him of taking "Native" American land. I think the "Native" Americans were the first people to settle in the Americas and they came all the way from Africa over thousands of years and at a time when the sea level was low enough for them to walk from Russia to Alaska. So technically, ALL land in America belongs to some Indian tribe or other. Get over it. Most of Europe once belonged to Rome and so did most of the Middle East and Northern Africa. When you loose, you loose. We could have been better to the Indians and most certainly should have. Even up to the last century, we were treating them like victims. If we could stop treating them like victims, maybe they would stop seeing themselves as victims.

The point though is that at least 15 previous US Presidents plus lots of other politicians such as Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders have also taken photo ops at the monument. None of those people were called white supremacists or land grabbers. Hypocrisy reigns. We just have to keep calling it out.

I have fond memories of marching in the Independence day parades, either playing a snare drum when I was in High School in the all girls Drum and Bugle Corps or as a younger kid either walking with a group or riding my bicycle all decked out in crepe paper. That was the nice thing about growing up in a smallish town. if you wanted to be in the parade, you could :love:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I posted this in the "Off Topic" thread a few days ago as an isolated thought, but this thread seems to reflect what the video clip by Tucker Carslon is talking about. Tucker Carlson: What holiday should be canceled next? I particularly liked his quote: "Hysteria is the most communicable disease known to us and we're now living through a pandemic of it". The "French Revolution", minus the guillotine, all over again.

Today is a holiday that we should all be celebrating, but the hypocrisy of the left is amazing in a negative context. Those on the left believe it is to be commended and celebrated when one disrespects the National Anthem by kneeling and/or destroying monuments. Yet, for those who wish to honor today, as a national holiday , to commemorate the founding of this country and demonstrate patriotism, the left proclaims them to be deplorable racists wallowing in White privilege who are to be silenced by any means. The left, despite their hollow assertions that they are the ones "bringing the country back together" are the ones actually inciting racism and divisiveness in this country.

Since posting, Fox News replayed this video: Waters World Patriots Edition. In the video, Jessie Waters ask people some simple questions, like from what country did the US declare its independence from. The fact that many people were unable to answer these questions is quite frighting. However, the clips being shown were selected based on their entertainment value. Hopefully, people (in general) are not as dumb as being implied by the video clips, Still very entertaining to watch.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
All I want to know is which virtue signalling celebrity is going to give up his property to the "Native" Americans first? Since if they own Mount Rushmore, they own all the land from sea to shining sea.

statsman

Local time
Today is a holiday - or at least it used to be one - that everyone in the USA could consider as pretty much universal.

With the various anarchistic movements in our country today, I wonder how many more of these observances we can have.

Too many people on BOTH sides of the BLM movement are entrenched in the idea that they shouldn't have to change because someone else is the problem. I wish I could say that it is an "all white" problem ... OR and "all black" problem. But that cannot be said.

I sincerely hope (and there is NO ulterior motive behind this statement) that the protesters get the mild version of corona virus and learn that to disease, NO lives matter. It's all perspective. And too many people don't seem to have any.

In six months we will be entertained with the folks who don't celebrate Christmas railing against that holiday as a violation of the concept of separation of church and state..
I am baffled why these people don't volunteer to work that day to give those who do celebrate it the day off.
Police, fire and EMT for example.
It would appear that asking them to work on a holiday they don't recognize is asking too much.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:52
While that never was an issue with Christmas because the U.S. Navy offices were ALSO closed on Christmas day, there were times when I worked a holiday because I don't observe that particular event, and took my time off a different day. I had no trouble working Mardi Gras day because it was a local holiday not observed by the feds but it WAS observed by locals.

I wasn't alone when I did that and I never begrudged the time that I spent at work when others were having fun. My wife and I used the odd time off to have a day of it, go shopping and have a mid-day lunch date.

Nor will you catch me railing against Christmas as a holiday. I might not believe in the basis for it, but for example I don't tell people to not observe Yom Kippur or Ramandan. As long as I don't get a sermon or an in-your-face proselytizer, I'm cool with other beliefs. And if someone wishes me "Merry Christmas" I will have no problem returned the kindness with "...and a Happy New Year."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom