Use of wifi capable barcode scanners with an access db (1 Viewer)

Cowboy_BeBa

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:25
Hi all,

Back again for some more wisdom from you guys

So my companys custom access ERP database is due for another update. I've been building and improving upon it for years thanks to help from this page and now is time for a big one.

Basically they wanna start scanning in barcodes for all incoming and outgoing stock. Now i can do this quite easily. As simple as adding barcode fields to my tables and creating a new form that allows a user to enter a barcode, a quantity and a reason for adjustment. Then use the scanner as an alternative input device (instead of the keyboard) and boom, instamatic barcode scanner.

The problem is management dont like that.Essentially we have 4 different warehouses on the same street. Only the main warehouse has a computer. So in my design that would be the only location items can be scanned in

Management want one or two wireless scanners to be used throughout all 4 locations (and they arent willing to invest in 3 new computers for each location, or in a small windows tablet, which was my first suggestion(. All 4 locations are connected via a network. They wanna use a smart scanner to scan in the items, then have the user enter a quantity directly on the scanner, then have that automatically uploaded to the database. Is such a thing even possible??? what type of scanner would you need to buy to get that goin? how do you even code it?

Anyone have any expertise/experience in this area?

Cowboy_BeBa

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:25
I don't have an answer for your question, but

How network without computer is possible?

interconnected routers

Basically if you log onto the wifi in one warehouse and take your phone to the other warehouse youll still be connected to the wifi and hence the rest of our network

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:25
If you can establish a file-like or stream-like text connection between your phone (as a portable scanner device) and Access (as a program that can have multiple file channels open), you might be able to pull it off. Just don't try to use the phone as a place where you put a front-end because WiFi and Access do not get along as a carrier for the FE/BE linkages. THAT would lead to frequent corruption.

Slap

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:25
You will need a device with screen/keyboard capability for remote work, else how would the user know when/what to scan. Warehouse scanners are available but they are pricey (>£400) and that's before you consider the interface.

A quick search on that famous online shopping site shows refurbed windows 10 machines with screen and keyboard at £68 each.. Got to be a better option given it could do other tasks too?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:25
Some scanners can work offline. They scan and store the data. Ultimately you do a batch upload. This could work but I wouldn't want to rely on it of accurate inventory status if you are taking orders in real time.

Last edited:

gstylianou

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:25
Hi all,

Back again for some more wisdom from you guys

So my companys custom access ERP database is due for another update. I've been building and improving upon it for years thanks to help from this page and now is time for a big one.

Basically they wanna start scanning in barcodes for all incoming and outgoing stock. Now i can do this quite easily. As simple as adding barcode fields to my tables and creating a new form that allows a user to enter a barcode, a quantity and a reason for adjustment. Then use the scanner as an alternative input device (instead of the keyboard) and boom, instamatic barcode scanner.

The problem is management dont like that.Essentially we have 4 different warehouses on the same street. Only the main warehouse has a computer. So in my design that would be the only location items can be scanned in

Management want one or two wireless scanners to be used throughout all 4 locations (and they arent willing to invest in 3 new computers for each location, or in a small windows tablet, which was my first suggestion(. All 4 locations are connected via a network. They wanna use a smart scanner to scan in the items, then have the user enter a quantity directly on the scanner, then have that automatically uploaded to the database. Is such a thing even possible??? what type of scanner would you need to buy to get that goin? how do you even code it?

Anyone have any expertise/experience in this area?

Hi, Cowboy_BeBa,

This time i'm working on something very similar and i found very helpful the following idea (which is tested and working fine)¨

1. Using the smart phone (any) i found one application which can creates your own table fields (Id, Barcarole, qty etc) and using the existing phone camera you can read and write into the table all your information you may needed, such as barcode code, Qty, etc

2. This application allow you to export those data into xls, csv and more other formats file, which its very helpful for us to import them into our msaccess application (stock control)

You can search this application on Play Store with name "Barcode to Sheet"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom