Use the same report with different query's (1 Viewer)

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:16
Hi, I want to use the same report with different. If the user is on Form "A" and they click on a button it will use:

Private Sub Command105_Click()
Dim WhichQuery As String
WhichQuery = "Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice"
DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview, WhichQuery
End Sub

If they click on a different button, the value for WhichQuery would be different.

I assume you leave in the report on the data tab the Record Source would be blank. It is my understanding that the Filter parameter in OpenReport can be a query. Therefore I'm trying to pass the value of WhichQuery to the report so it uses that query. When I run the code I get a "The action or method is invalid because the form or report isn't bound to a table or query."

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chuck

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 02:16
you can just filter the report, not change the query. The query would show all data, but the openRpt would filter:
DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview, ,"[State]='" & me.cboState & "'"

if you DO want to swap queries (don't see why) youd use code to copy the source query to the target rpt query:
docmd.CopyObject ,sTargQry, acQuery, sSrcQry
DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:16
Does it work if you just use:
Code:
  DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview, "Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice"
End Sub

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Ranman256, thanks.

The two query's I want to use with the same report are exactly the same, except two fields in the query have different Criteria. The criteria for query #1 is based on which form the user clicked on, i.e. a WorkNbr on form A and in query #2 it is based on form B.

Therefore, maybe I can use the same query for the report but how do I pass which form I'm using to the criteria on two different fields in the query?

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Does it work if you just use:
Code:
  DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview, "Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice"
End Sub

Hi Bob, I get the same error message.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Try:
Code:
  DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview, "[Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice]"
End Sub

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Try:
Code:
  DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview, "[Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice]"
End Sub

Nope, same error. The report doesn't have any records bound to it.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 02:16
the form shown, the user will fill a control,
then the button will open the report, using the controls on the form
docmd.openreport…..,"[State]='" & me.cboState & "'"
or
docmd.openreport…..,"[LastName]='" & me.txtBoxName & "'"

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Does the query "[Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice] show any records if opened manually.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
You could do this another way:

Open the report and use the query name as the "OpenArgs" parameter
Code:
    DoCmd.OpenReport "tblT1", acViewPreview, , , , "Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice "
and then put the following code the the reports On Open event:
Code:
If Not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then
    Me.RecordSource = Me.OpenArgs
End If

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I would and have done using TempVars instead of hardcoding form values.?
Each form sets the TempVar then uses the query?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:16
Hi, I want to use the same report with different. If the user is on Form "A" and they click on a button it will use:

Dim WhichQuery As String
WhichQuery = "Invoice Query-3-Bulk-Reinvoice"
DoCmd.OpenReport "Invoice Report-BulkTest", acViewPreview, WhichQuery
End Sub

If they click on a different button, the value for WhichQuery would be different.

I assume you leave in the report on the data tab the Record Source would be blank. It is my understanding that the Filter parameter in OpenReport can be a query. Therefore I'm trying to pass the value of WhichQuery to the report so it uses that query. When I run the code I get a "The action or method is invalid because the form or report isn't bound to a table or query."

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chuck
Hi Chuck. Pardon me for jumping in, but I think you had the wrong assumption above (highlighted in red). Try binding the report to the same table you used in your queries or a query without any criteria and then try Bob's suggestion again of using your two queries as a Filter argument in your OpenReport method. Cheers!

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
With all your help, I solved it. As in many things, there's more than one way to solve the problem. I used TempVars in the two forms where I set TempVars = the forms path, i.e. TempVars!ClientX = [Forms]![Re-invoice Form]![ClientNbrX].Value (That is for one of the forms. The other form has a different path pointing to that form.) I then used in the Query as Criteria TempVars!ClientX. It works great!; the same Query can be used in one report but it will use data based on the form I run the report from.

Thank you all!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:16
With all your help, I solved it. As in many things, there's more than one way to solve the problem. I used TempVars in the two forms where I set TempVars = the forms path, i.e. TempVars!ClientX = [Forms]![Re-invoice Form]![ClientNbrX].Value (That is for one of the forms. The other form has a different path pointing to that form.) I then used in the Query as Criteria TempVars!ClientX. It works great!; the same Query can be used in one report but it will use data based on the form I run the report from.

Thank you all!
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

zeroaccess

Local time

Thank you all!
I use this approach or use a WHERE condition that is different depending on the button clicked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom